10

I came home later that day to something that I was really not expecting to happen. My mother was standing at the door, tapping her foot in anger. "What?" I asked, not really wanting to know what she was upset about this time.

"You ran away from school yesterday?" There was a tone of fury in her voice that honestly scared me a bit. Sure, we've fought, but she's never really been furious with me per say.

"I'm sorry."

"What came over you? What possessed you to think that that was a good idea?" She crossed her arms.

"I panicked! I didn't know what else to do! It triggered my fight or flight, and I chose flight! I'm sorry." I involuntarily reached for my pentagram necklace.

My mother pulled on the chain on my neck and revealed the necklace. "Where did you get this?" Her tone was almost a whisper. 

"I bought it at a thrift store."

"How long have you had it for?"

"Maybe two years or so? I don't really remember." I rubbed the back of my neck. 

She yanked the chain off of my neck, and it was really weak, so it broke. But it still hurt like a bitch. There would probably be a bruise on my neck tomorrow. "What are you doing?!" I demanded.

"Something that should have been done long ago." She started walking towards the kitchen. She put the pentagram on the counter and bend down to the cabinet underneath. I reached for the necklace, but she held me back with one of her hands. I didn't know that she had such immense strength. She produced the hammer that we had under there in case an intruder should ever threaten us. 

"Mom NO!" I shouted. She held the hammer near my face. I retreated in instinct. She took my moment of trepidation as an opportunity to bring the hammer down on my necklace. The force broke the pentagram into a hundred pieces. And she smashed it once more, breaking it into a thousand. I could never find another one.

"I never want to hear about your goddamn religion again!" She scolded me.

"You bitch! I hate you!" I shouted, and then I ran up to my room. I would summon something to hurt her, but it would never work. Emotional attachment always makes curses worse. I looked to my laptop. I could call Alex and Jack about this, but I don't think that they'll do much other than verbally sympathize with me. 

I don't know why, but I'm in the mood for rough, rough sex. And I know the one person who'll give it to me. I looked to my window and opened it. Thank God there was no screen since I never bothered to open my window. I looked back once more, making sure that what I was doing was what I really wanted. And then I jumped.

I landed on the ground with a thud. I stood up, brushed myself off, and started to run. I ran and ran until I got to that other neighborhood that looked like it had been built a hundred years ago. I knew this place well. I'd been coming here for years. I approached the front door of the house I wanted. His parents had been around less and less as he got older. Now they were never home. I knocked on the door.

Kev opened it. "Kellin?"

"You're eighteen, right?"

"Yes, wh-"

I pushed him into the wall of the foyer that was behind him. I kissed him roughly and sloppily. 

"I thought that-" He started when the kiss broke. "Whoa, whoa!" He held my shoulders. "Kell, I get it, but you need to slow down."

"The faster the better." I reached for his belt. 

He sighed and consented. "Okay, fine. But this is a one time deal."

"Whatever, just please hurry up."

It became chaotic. We kissed up the stairs to his bedroom, stripping each other simultaneously. And once we were in his room, he shut the door.

When it was over, I felt a wave of regret. I wanted it, but I didn't want it all the same. Kev played with my hair in his fingers  while I tried to catch my breath. "Is your mom gonna be pissed about that lip?" He whispered. 

"She'll be pissed either way," I replied. "I'm sorry if I scared you."

"It's okay. Do you wanna tell me what happened?"

I thought about my mom breaking my necklace, my most prized possession. I shook my head. "I just want to forget."

"Is Jack still mad?"

The question caught me off guard. "He's mad at both of us now."

"You told him and Alex what we did then?"

"I'm sorry."

"I don't really care. I just thought that it would just be a secret moment that we'd look back on and then laugh. It was really out of place." He looked around. "This whole day is just really out of place."

"You're right about that," I agreed. "I should get going."

"If you want to. But you can't tell anyone what we did. I'm serious."

"I won't tell them."

"Now get your naked ass out of my bed. And try to find your clothes in the mess that we made on the stairwell." It was supposed to be a joke, but it just didn't quite hit right. 

"Yeah, okay," I sighed.