13

Later that afternoon, I decided to go to that coffee shop again. There was some homework that I'd like to get done, and coffee always helps me to think. When I entered the door, the bell rang above me. I looked around for a moment before going to the front counter to order something. I was surprised to see Vic sitting at a table, alone, and staring blankly into a cup of coffee. He was still. I forgot about getting myself coffee and approached him. "Vic?" I asked.

He looked up, and his once blank expression became happy, but he still didn't quite look it. "Kellin! What are you doing here?" I looked down at his coffee cup. It was full, but not steaming. And judging by Vic's grip on it, it was probably cold. 

"How long have you been here?" I asked.

"I don't know. I don't really keep track of that stuff." He shook his head. Then he waved his hand dismissively. "But never mind that."

"Andy said that you weren't feeling well," I recalled aloud, "so why are you here?"

He smiled a little bit wider. Was he really going to keep up this act for my whole time here? "Coffee always makes me feel less under the weather."

"Vic, tell me what's going on with you." I sat down across from him without asking permission because I didn't think that I needed any.

"Nothing's going on with me. I just felt a little bit of a cold this morning, nothing to worry about. Are you and Andy getting along now?"

I wanted for him to stop trying to avoid talking about himself. Something was obviously wrong with him, I just couldn't figure out what it was. "Me and Andy are....acquaintances and nothing more."

"As are we. Which is why I'm curious as to why you're so worried about me." A look of accusation that made me feel guilt went across his face. 

"I worry about most people," I lied. Can't have him knowing the truth now, can I? That would be embarrassing. 

"Okay then." Vic shrugged casually. I can't believe that a liar bought another person's lie! "Are you taking anyone to prom?"

"The person that I'd like to take doesn't feel anything for me, plus they already have a date." Nothing wrong with giving him anonymous information.

"I get that," He sighed.

"Wait, I thought that you were with Andy?" I tried to hide my shock, and my excitement. 

"I am with Andy. I haven't always been with him though. I mean, we've only been together for a few months."

The door opened again, and both Vic and I turned to see who it was, and found that it was just a businesswoman, coming in for an afternoon cup of coffee and free wifi. My head turned back to him once more. "So you're happy with him then?" I sighed.

"Of course."

"Then why are you here all alone?" Come on, come on. I've got to subtly make Andy look like an asshole.

"Andy has school. I decided to skip. He's not a bad person for showing up to school." Though his words would have been sure if he'd delivered them as such, he sounded doubtful. That's what I want. Maybe I don't need black magic to do this after all. 

"I would have stayed with you to make sure that you were okay. And don't tell me that you were just feeling sick this morning." 

"I'm perfectly fine! And Andy does a fantastic job of protecting me from myself!" Vic stood up. "Honestly, Kellin! If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you were jealous!" And then he left before I could tell him to wait. I guess that it was okay. Why does it matter if he hates me again? I want to get things right with him, but it's so damn hard when I just keep wanting for him to be with me instead.

Either way, I think that I'd make a terrible boyfriend if I was once of those possessive, protective, and jealous types. Maybe I'm just insecure, though. I could get better with time. Doesn't time heal all wounds?