5

Propaganda. Now there's a word. Ten letters, four syllables, four vowels, and six consonants. But it's the definition that really gets me. 'Information spread to influence a person's decision.' Then it would make a person wonder if propaganda is just another word for persuasion. 

So then where are we as a society? If we judge people based in information that we hear about them, then are we really giving anyone a chance?  Being judged in the real realm of someone's actual words is damn near impossible these days. But then again, maybe it's better that we listen to other's opinions about things. After all, making our own decisions for how we feel about people is difficult. Then we risk having different opinions than those around us. So whatever happened to free will? Or are we all just slaves to influence? 

My personal opinions are different than those of my peers. The one difference between me and them though, is that I don't bother expressing my opinion over social media. If anyone wants to know something about what I think, then they have to work to get to that point. 

Everyone's too lazy to do that, so it doesn't really matter anyway, does it? 

Thankfully, no teachers had seen my minor contact with Andy, so I never got into any trouble for it. But it certainly didn't score me any points with Vic. Later that day, when I was sitting in history class, he kept glaring at me. I could only assume that he'd been told what happened. 

Kev looked at me strangely when I shifted in my seat for what felt like the thousandth time. "Something tells me that you're not thinking about the conquest of any kingdoms," He said. 

"What?" I asked, snapping out of my own head. 

"What's on your mind this time?" He sighed, knowing that another day would go by in which we didn't get any of our partner work done. 

"I made a mistake earlier, and now I think that Vic's mad at me," I admitted.

"Well, then apologize for it."

"You didn't apologize for what you did to Jack." I crossed my arms. 

"He's sad about it, not mad about it. The difference is that I'm not trying to get his attention. You are. So I suggest that you go over there and apologize to the both of them."

"Did you hear about what I did?" I asked anxiously.

"If you did anything serious, no one's talking about it. I think that you're in the clear as far as student body judgement."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "So then I just have to go and talk to Vic and Andy to make things better between us, right?"

"That sounds about right to me."

"Say, you said that you had someone in mind that you wanted to take to prom, who was it?" I asked him, recalling our conversation from the other day.

"Well I was going to take this girl in my art class, but she was already asked by someone else. I guess that I'm just flying solo this year."

I nodded. "I sure know what that feels like." I wanted to further this conversation, but then the bell rang, dismissing us all. I grabbed all of my books and started for the front of the room, when Vic pushed into me, causing them all to fall in front of me. I looked at him with shock. "Wh-"

"Don't bother trying to explain," He said, leaving me there. I looked at Andy, who shrugged, looking just as appalled as I was. 

"What the hell was that for?!" Kev demanded, jumping to my rescue.

"I don't need you," I mumbled to him. "It's not worth it." I grabbed my things and stood back up again, heading out of the room before anything else happened. 

Kev followed after me. "What the hell? You're just going to leave after that?!"

"I deserved it."

"Don't do that to me. I don't want to hear your 'poor me' attitude. You can't just curse them away."

"I know."

"Vic pushed you! Andy didn't even know why!"

I spun around and accidentally hit him. "I know, alright! I know pretty fucking well what I can and cannot do! I don't need you sitting on my shoulder and telling me too!"

Kevin closed his eyes. "Alright, alright. Fine." And then he left. I could hear the gasps of other students who were watching. Maybe I did go a bit too far. I've never seen Kev back down from literally anything.

So I did what any good person that has nowhere else to go would do. I ran. I ran out the nearest exit, dropping my books on the ground. I ran through the school's back parking lot. I ran across the football field. I ran until I got to the main road, which was a good mile away from school. I knew that they'd catch me if I stopped here. 

But I always brought some money just in case anything happened. So I walked up and down one of the street's sidewalks until I found a decent coffee shop that I could hide in. I ordered myself a small cup of coffee, and sat at one of the tables, trying to catch my breath back.  

How could I possibly have been so stupid as to do this? I should have just kept my emotions in check in the first place. But just like everything else, I just keep screwing it all up. 

One of these days, I'm going to do something right.