2

I slammed my bedroom door shut in fury. I can't believe that my mom is pissed at me again. I pulled the necklace that I'd been wearing out from under my shirt and held the pentagram in my hands. "Why does she not understand? She's known that I do this for years, and suddenly she hates Aleister Crowley?" She'd been through my room again, because she'd opened the curtains. I went under my bed and found that what I'd hidden under there was still in it's place. I guess she hadn't searched too hard. I looked over at my black desk and saw that it had been reorganized. My candles were out of place, and my laptop was facing the wrong direction. She'd probably tried to get into that too. God damnit. Why am I not entitled to any privacy around here? 

I walked over to my laptop and opened it anyways, finding that it was opened to the screen on which one enters their password. So my mother had not been able to figure that out at least. The most that she saw was my background. Once my computer was unlocked, I decided to call Alex and complain about this. I'd call Jack too, but he never answers me. 

The answer was after only three rings. 

"Already? What happened? " Alex asked, looking at the screen with concern. 

"How do you know that something bad has happened? " I asked him back, a little more edge to my words that I'd wanted for there to be. 

"You usually wait at least an hour to call me. If you're calling early, then something happened. " 

"My mom's pissed off. It's so fucking annoying. Why does she get to determine all if my life's choices? " 

"The magic thing again? " He sighed. "Maybe you should just do a better job of hiding it. " 

"I'm a pagan. Magic is part of my religion, " I commented flatly. 

Alex hummed as he thought for a while. "At least your mother's not a huge religious looney. " 

"Is yours? " This was definitely news to me if that was true. 

"No, but that's not really the point. The point is, you're lucky that you at least get to keep doing it. Why is she pissed this time though? " 

"Apparently she heard Mr. Crowley. " I rolled my eyes. 

"Ozzy? Interesting. " He rubbed his chin. "Perhaps you can try to paint paganism in a positive light? " 

"I would do that, but it's just not worth it. It's not the first time that she's used the media as a credible source if information. " 

"And you're lucky she doesn't use it more. " He pointed his finger at me. "You watch. Single-handedly, the opinions of others are going to destroy your way of life. "

"Thanks Alex. I knew that I could count on you for a positive outlook on this. " I rolled my eyes. "Can't you give me something useful to do? " 

"You could run away. " He shrugged. "I'd provide shelter for you. I know some people. " He wiggled his eyebrows in mischief. 

"No way. I don't mind sketchy people, but I barely make enough money in my part-time job. " 

"You could banish her with one of your mysterious spells. " 

"It doesn't work that way. I could possess her, but I can't banish her. " 

"Then drive her away. Pretend to be reading her fate, and the  tell her how she can fix it. If she believes in Aleister, then she'll believe what you tell her." 

"What if that doesn't work? " I whined. 

"Listen, your satanic majesty, " He rolled his eyes, "if you're so desperate to continue your dark magic, then just talk to your mother like a normal person. She might take some convincing, but you have to try and let her see your side of the story." He thought for another moment. "I've met your mother, she's not a saint. Trust me when I tell you that she won't be hard to convince. And better yet, since she believes everything that she reads, make her a presentation to help your case."

"I'll try, " I muttered. 

"Now if you're done with your pity party, I've got some news for you too. " He smiled, face flushing with embarrassment. "I caught Lisa alone after school. " 

"And? " 

"I asked her to prom, and she said yes! " 

"That's great. I'm so happy for you. " I was jealous. 

"I've asked mine, now you ask yours. And if he says now, which he probably will, then you have to take someone else. I'm telling Jack the same thing. " 

"What do you mean he probably will? You don't think I have a chance? "

"He's already in a relationship. The odds are, he's going to go with Andy. I'd be surprised if he didn't. " 

"Prepare to be surprised, " I mumbled. 

"Oh, Kellin, don't do anything stupid. It won't go well. Just ask him with words and not spells. " 

"Fine." 

But I wasn't planning on listening to him. I'd already made up my mind.