"W-well ...Wei Wuxian jumped in the water to pull you out ...and Second master lan....he gave you mouth to mouth resuscitation."

Xia blinks , processing what he said before blushing.

"..."

'Lan Wangji.. LAN WANGJI TECHNICALLY KISSED ME!'

then she blinks .

'But wait....i thought Lan Zhan didn't like touching people....and mouth to mouth technically counts as touching so....was i an exception?'

🌸🌸🌸

Though she felt perfectly fine, the Lan nurse lady wouldn't let her leave the room.

"You have a fever lady Xia , you need to rest."

Xia wiggles her body animatedly.

"But I feel fine though!"

The nurse smiles awkwardly before sliding to the door as she heard a knock.

When she opens it, Wei Wuxian, and Jiang Cheng run to Xia's side.

"XIAAAAAAAAA!"

She squeals as Wei Wuxian grabs her hands.

"W-Wei Wuxian!?"

He pulls her into his chest.

"From now on,you won't leave my side!"

Xia blushes.

"W-what?"

Jiang Cheng crossed his arms.

"Wei Wuxian! Don't smother her!"

As Wei Wuxian lets her go,Xia looks down.

"I should have been watching my surroundings..sorry guys."

Jiang Cheng sighs.

"It's not your fault. Who knew that those spirits would be in a peaceful place like Caiyitown. It runs out that they swam down stream so it's likely they left after another incident. We believe the Wen clan were probably involved."

The mention of the Wen clan makes her stomach churn.

'Crap, i'm not prepared to see the Wen clan ,but i'm always prepared to punch Wen Chao's ugly self!'

"And you fought well! When you grabbed the bamboo oar and whacked that spirit- it was amazing!" Wei Wuxian says making Xia grin cheekily.

"I didn't know I had it in me to be honest..." she smiles,"Thank you for saving me back there."

Wei Wuxian blushes but inside he remembers that Lan Zhan was the one who helped her breathing.

He rubs the back of his head with a grin.

"Heh,you know- this reminds me of when we first met Xia!"

Xia and Jiang Cheng blink and look at each other with confusion.

"In what way is this similar?" Jiang Cheng says deadpanned ,making the grey eyes male grin.

"Well for one, I saved Xia the first time we met. Except the first time she tried to ki-" he stopped himself or well, he was stopped by Xia whacking his head with a pillow.

Jiang Cheng looks at the scene with even more confusion.

Xia laughs awkwardly.

"Haha you're such a comedian A'Xian!"

How embarrassing! I can't believe he remembers me almost kissing him!

Another knock at the door makes the 3 teens turn and to their surprise it happens to be -

"Young Master Jin?"all three say with surprise, making the young man fluster.

"I came to see...if the girl is alright."

Xia smiles.

"I'm doing fine. You know you can just call me Xia."

For a good few seconds ,Zixuan stared at the girl with confusion ...and something else.. before nodding and leaving. Jiang Cheng follows afterwards, saying something about needing beauty sleep.

Wei Wuxian pouts.

"Xiaaaaaa, that peacock doesn't need to know your name!"

"Why not? I don't want him calling me 'girl' like I'm some side character."

"A side what?"

"Nevermind-oh! Did anything happen while at Emerald lake?" She asks wearily , though she knew the answer.

Her question makes Wei Wuxian tense up but as soon as he did ,he was back to smiling reassuringly.

"Just fought some aqua demons but nothing too serious."

Her heart is full of worry.

Wei Wuxian was dragged down into the deep water after trying to save Su She. When he was down there...

She knew it was coming close to when things would take a drastic turn for the worse and she needed to help him as best as she could.

I can't let those things happen....Wei Wuxian deserves only happiness and the innocent Wen and Jiang clan deserve to live. Resentful energy...

She takes Wei Wuxians hands, squeezing them slightly, taking the ravenette by surprise. His cheeks turn pink as he looks down at the bedridden girl.

"A-A'Xia?"

She looks at him with all seriousness. Her green eyes sparkle with determination.

"Wei Wuxian! I promise to be on your side no matter what! If you ever need to talk to someone then I'll be there for you! Just promise...not to act alone."

He's confused about what she means but his heart flutters at her declaration.

She was definitely something else.

He did not respond but his smile showed how grateful he was to have her with him.

+++

(BONUS)

On the roof, Wangji stared up at the moon with a conflicted thoughts.

After he saved Xia, he found himself wondering why he had acted so quickly to be the one to save her or how worried he felt when he heard Huaisang yell her name.

'Perhaps it was just instinct. It was an act of chivalry...nothing more.'

Despite telling himself this, he still felt a warm sensation his body when he thought about the girl. When he held her...he felt something.

Something that he would only come to realize when it's too late.