28

(2 months after Xia's arrest)

Xia wipes the sweat from her forhead as she finishes hanging the last of Jiao Jiao's clothes. After arriving in Nevernight, Xia was forced to become one of Jiao's maids in located close to the palace residence of Wen Chao. Fortunately for her, she had not once bumped into said male since her arrival, since he was usually fooling around with Jiao Jiao or his other concubines. 

Despite her fortunate escape from possible death, Jiao Jiao made sure to get the other Wen maids to bully her, up her work load, and take her privileges without reason. She had been worked too the bone and she couldn't stand being treated like shit.

Still, there were times she enjoyed being in Nevernight, and that was was when she got to spend time with Wen Ning, and his sister Wen Qing.

She and Wen Ning were reunited one day when Xia was on her way to the palace kitchen to deliver some herbs for the medicinal teas. She was about to turn a corner ,but then she found herself on the ground with a young man with long brown hair and bright green eyes ontop of her.

It took a moment for Wen Ning to recognize her as the girl he had met briefly at the cultivation conference. Her brave attitude as well as her kindess during the event had left a strong impression on him, and he had hoped for 2 be able to see her once again. He had not,however,wished to meet her in the state sĥe was currently in, which was a mere maid to the lover of one of his relatives.

She looked paler and skinner than before and was most like working more than she slept. Her clothes consisted of a plain red robe top woth gray trousers, with her hair yied back under a white scarf. Despite this, she was still as pretty as the day he met her.

It saddened him even more to hear her explanation of why she was in Nevernight to begin with. From that day on, he had vowed to help her in any way he could, even if it meant being punished by Wen Chao.

For the next 2 months, the two eventually became closer and considered each other a friend.His company was greatly appreciated by Xia who was always happy to spend more time with the cute male (With him around, she felt as if she had unlocked a secret filler of MDZS).

Almost everyday,Wen Ning would sneak off to see her, and observed as she went about her daily tasks-even going to help her if he saw her struggle to get something. It was nice to have someone to talk to other than his sister, his grandmother, or his uncle Si Shu.

It didnt take long for Wen Qing to grow suspicious of her brother whereabouts everytime he suddenly wanted to "go for a walk" around the Wen grounds. After another day of him venturing off, the flustered boy admitted to having gone off to meet a friend for quite some time. Wen Qing hadn't expected that answer to say the least and she was surprised to hear that her rather timid brother had befriended a girl he had once met during the cultivation conference. During one of her rare off days, Xia was invited to the residence of Wen Ning and Wen Qing, whom she couldn't help but fangirl over (Wen Qing is a girl boss). After getting to know Xia better, Wen Qing could tell that the girls intentions were pure and soon ,Wen Qing became a silent protector and older sister figure to Xia.

As Xia finsished up her work for the day, she was happy to see green eyed male was waiting for her outside the entrance of Wen Chao's palace. His eyes light up when he notices her walking his way.

"Xia, how are you today?"

Xia rubs her neck woth a tired smile.
"I'm okay. I had to wash extra clothes today since the rest of the maids thought it would be generous to sneak their own work in my basket."

Wen Ning frowns.
"Theyre so...so rude! Its not fair that they treat you this way just because of Jiao Jiao's hate for you!"

Xia smiles reassuringly.
"Its fine. Although the Xia from 2 months ago would have started a fight, this Xia has to mind her manners for a bit longer."