CHAPTER 19

I left them in the living room and rushed to my room. I needed space, my personal space. Dad and Orhan were encroaching in it and that made me uncomfortable, scared rather. I need to know what changed dad after meeting Orhan. Surely, he wasn't someone of his type, and above that, entrusting a stranger with his daughter was a bad idea too. I was very tired to think about anything right now. All I needed was to rest tonight and talk tomorrow to mom first. She will understand my concern if not dad. Then I need to find my friends for help.

"Sweety, we are having dinner downstairs. Be quick!"

"Yes mama. I'll be there in few minutes." I groaned mentally about having to climb the stairs down, have dinner, walk up again, and then sleep. Too much exertion on my physical being has taken a toll on my mental health as well.

Quickly changing into a white top and loose pajamas, I left my room to proceed to the dining table. Dad didn't like to be kept waiting, and he won't start without his family present. The aroma of freshly steamed rice and steaks made my tummy growl. I had only salad and juice for lunch as I was asked to have light food. My medicines won't work otherwise. I just hope I can have steaks tonight. I crave them both, mentally and physically. Food food.

As I descended down to my food haven, I heard murmuring about me. What! Orhan was gossiping and backbiting about me to dad. They were having important talks about me. I also heard Orhan mention Yassir and my girls. Now what's with them? Is he my father now? Trying not to make noise, I stood where the wall saved me from being seen. There were few stairs that needed to be crossed, so I kept myself hidden carefully on the stairs, worried I may fall face first if I made any move.

"I made sure she was just in her work. Friends make us crap sometimes. It's better to be alone than turn into trash."

"That's a good thought. Was Leyla angry at that?"

"She was, yes. She always is, on petty things. But I made sure her mood wasn't off for the day."

Liar liar, pants on fire. When did my mood change for good? I wasn't happy with him. Not for a second even! What's this? Was he acting all long to get close to me and my family? What if he is a psycho serial killer! Nooo! I need to get him out of my life and this house, ASAP! Treading even more carefully, I tip toed to get a closer look of this heroic villain.

"Mr. Husein, shall I tell you one thing. I hope it doesn't offend you."

"Tell me about it."

"It would be better if Leyla doesn't meet her friends unnecessarily, of course it concerns her mental being."

"Yes, that's something I have been giving my mind to. But, like you know Amine and Gulfem are her best friends. The trio have been together through ups and downs till now. Believing they are her well-wishers are very much like our own daughters, I would keep that on her to decide what she wants. I don't think it's unnecessary; the meeting and everything that they do. I don't want her alone anywhere, that's it."

"Of course, it is not. However, Yassir remains our concern as he keeps stalking Leyla everywhere. There have been instances where she made her cry. So, Yassir is..."

"What did you say? He made her cry? Are you sure?"

'Yeah. Because I wiped her tears soon after. If you don't believe me you can ask your daughter."

"I will. Thank you. I appreciate you are looking after my daughter very well." He then proceeded to hand over the envelope to Orhan. I know what's in that. My freedom.

"Thank you Mr. Husein. But, this is too early for this..."

"It's not. Take it, this is your reward." He slipped the envelope on to Orhan's hand, never looking down.