Scrat

"I think you come here a lot because you wanna hang out with me~"

Hoodie looked up at y/n, an eyebrow raised as he stared at the boy in the tree. "You're wrong." He said simply. Y/N huffed and rolled his eyes, kicking his feet off the ledge of the thick branch.

"Why else would you train me to run faster, or teach me how to climb trees?" Y/N asked. Hoodie went silent for a good while. Y/N had grown accustomed to it now, and it no longer made him uncomfortable. Well. . . not too uncomfortable.

"You could need it in the long run. . You never know. . Bye." Hoodie said, turning around and beginning to walk.

"H- Hey hey hey! Where are you going?!" Y/N asked, trying to scurry down the tree, but he ends up falling down from it instead. He groans in pain but quickly gets up to follow Hoodie.

"If you follow me, I'll make Masky fight you. . ." Hoodie said without hesitation, not turning around either. Y/N flinched a bit but scoffed. "Why would you do that? I thought we were friends."

"We can be "friends" but I have somewhere to be, so please leave me alone." Hoodie huffed, walking a little faster. Y/N only groaned and went back to his spot, he didn't bother climbing up it again.

Now, what to do, what to do. . . Hoodie is usually the one he talks to and does things with, so who else was there?

Carmelo was out of the question, after the incident he hated Helen for almost killing his brother.

Jonathan was out too, solidly for the reason that he is a good soul so he always tries to do the right thing. In conclusion, he would probably report both y/n and Helen. Jon is a trustworthy friend, very, but y/n didn't want to take the chance.

All of the killers he knew were out of the question because he didn't even know how to contact them.

All of his other friends are either dead or in the town he lived in before he moved.

So, there was no one to keep him company. This situation is better to keep in secret anyway, so that's okay, he supposes. Y/N sighed and dug in his pocket, pulling out a nut bar. He had rushed and didn't eat lunch because he was too worried about meeting Helen, but his grandpa had demanded he grab at least a small snack. As soon as y/n opened the bar, he felt a small rough thump on his head.

"Huh-?" He mumbled, slowly reaching up to touch. . Something. It squirmed at the touch and y/n gasped, a bit scared of what was in his hair. Before he developed the courage to see what was on his head, the small animal tackled his nut bar.

A. . . A baby gray squirrel. . ?

Y/N quickly jerked his food away from the squirrel, glaring at it. The squirrel played no attention to it and crawled up his shirt and onto his sleeve. Y/N yelped and tried to get the squirrel off.

After a lot of struggle [ and scratches unfortunately ], y/n had gotten the squirrel to calm. Now he was slowly picking the nuts off of his nut bar to give to the squirrel until it was fond of him to the point he could pet it and pick it up. Y/N smiled at his accomplishment, taking a bit of the bar himself.

"Hmm. . . . I think I'll name you. . . Scrat." Y/N smiles, gently petting the squirrel. The squirrel paid no mind to it, nibbling on a nut. Y/N looked up and around. Where had Scrat come from? Y/N couldn't see any squirrel nests around. Had he traveled far from his home? Why would a baby squirrel as little as he is, even leave the nest? Y/N didn't know much about squirrels, but he knew if he tried to give Scrat back to mother nature, she'd definitely make him die soon in this harsh world. A baby squirrel unattended is such easy prey, and y/n had already grown attached.

"I wonder if it's okay to keep you. . ." Y/N mumbled to himself.

"Keep what?"

Y/N looked up to see Helen. Y/N smiled and quickly hopped up, walking over to the fence. "This squirrel! It jumped on me and I don't see a nest anywhere near here. I named him Scrat!" Y/N said proudly, showing Helen his new pet for the moment. Helen reached his finger through a fence hole slowly, but as soon as Scrat caught on to what Helen was trying to do, he ran away onto Y/N's shoulder instead. Helen didn't seem disappointed.

"What's it like in there? In that hospital?" Y/N asked. Helen's mood seemed to drop and y/n quickly caught on. Helen obviously didn't want to answer. Y/N assumed it was either really bad or really boring.

"Uh anyway- did you eat lunch?" Y/N asked. Helen shook his head. "No, I skipped. I didn't want it."

"Do you want the rest of this?" Y/N asked. Helen looked at it for a moment before back at his crush. "Come on, take it!" Y/N smiled, reaching his hand over the fence to give it to Helen. Helen gently took it and slowly began to eat it.

"When do you think you're getting out of this place?" Y/N asked. He seemed to be extremely talkative today. "Not in a long time. ." Helen sighed, taking another bite of the bar. "Then I'll be here every day until then!" Y/N replied. Helen looked up at him, shocked and extremely grateful.

"Y/N. . . You're. . . the greatest friend in the world. ." Helen said, letting out a shaky breath as he smiled brightly. Y/N smiled back and put his hand on his side of the gate. Helen put his hand where y/n's was on his side of the gate. They stared at each other for a few moments before they both bursted into giggles.

××××××××

"How's school going?" Helen asks. They had been talking for some time now. Helen's doctor had glances at Helen a few times throughout the outside time, wondering what he was doing. At some point, he walked over, but saw Helen appeared to be paying attention to nothing. Or talking to nothing in that matter. His doctor had questioned it, but left the subject alone.

"Quiet. I was moved to the other class since ours is dead." Y/N giggled a bit before sighing, playing with Helen's fingers gently. Helen nodded. "What about bullies?" Helen asked. "None! None at all! You saved me! Like a hero!" Y/N said, jumped up from the ground and pretending to grab a oen and paper.

"Mr. Hero, can I get your autograph?"

"I'm not a her-"

"Is that a no?" Y/N pouted. Helen sighed and pretended to sign a paper and slip it though the fence. Y/N cheered happily. Scrat was very confused.

"You're so strange, y/n." Helen shook his head. Y/N smiled. "You love it." He replied, sitting back down and poking Helen through the fence. "Unfortunately that's the case." Helen sighed.

"Yay! Wait- WHAT DO YOU MEAN UNFORTUNATELY-?!"

[ A/N: Apologies for the wait. I'm truly scrambling around how I plan I finishing off this story, what direction I wanna take it with, etc. I'll try my best to get back into updating more frequently. :) ]

[ I give you the privilege to bonk me. ]