Realization

Y/N does not get bullied as much as Helen or Tom ever since the news of his parents got around the school. Judy still liked him, and for the past few weeks she would always try to drag him away from Helen, Tom, and Jonathan.

Y/N on the other hand, started having trouble hiding the bruises from Carmelo and his grandpa. He didn't want them to worry.

Maybe if he killed them, everything would be okay again. . .

Y/N shook his head, pushing that thought down. Murder? He couldn't do that. Then he'd be just like his mother. There were other ways to solve bullying.

Judy approached y/n, who mentally groaned. "Hey, y/n! I was thinking and I wondered if you wanted to come to my party?" Jusy smiled, handing him an invitation. He took it, staring at it for a few moments before smiling. This could be the moment he's been waiting for! To show everyone he isn't a loser!

"Can Helen come to?" Y/N asked.

"Ew, no. I don't want a nasty thief at my party." Judy replied, glaring at Helen. Helen sighed.

"But I told you, he isn't a-"

"Okay! Bye y/n! See you there!" Judy cut him off, walking away. Y/N huffed. "Don't worry, Helen. I'll take you anyway."

"No thanks. I'm not one for parties." Helen replied.

"Come on! Please?" Y/N asked. He begged and begged Helen all the way to their classroom before Helen finally agreed. Y/N did a small victory dance before quickly sitting down in his seat. Perfect! They can redeem themselves together!

Helen mentally apologized to y/n. He wasn't actually going to go.

At the tree, today it was only Helen and and y/n. Surprisingly, Tom was nowhere. Y/N was happy about this. He doesn't remember the last time he's hung out with Helen alone. He hummed quietly, watching Helen draw in his ripped sketchbook.

"Helen, look at me please." Y/N said softly. Helen finished a certain part of his sketch before lazily looking up at y/n.

Y/N smiled and stared into Helen's eyes. Helen raised an eyebrow, staring back, confused. "What is it?" He asks. Y/N shrugs before pulling Helen into a hug.

"Y/N?" Helen says, dropping his pencil onto the soft grass below them. Y/N didn't reply for a few moments, just feeling Helen. Feeling his presence. Knowing he was there. Making sure he was real. He ran his fingers down Helen's spine gently, doing it about three times. Helen blushed a bit, confused.

"I'm so glad I didn't die. . . I'd miss you too much. . ." Y/N whispered, running his fingers up and down his back again.

"I'd miss you too. After all, we are good friends, right?" Helen replied, finally hugging back. Y/N nodded. "Mhm. Best friends. I'll protect you from those bullies no matter what."

Y/N pulled away from the hug, but his hands remained around Helen's waist. He gave a bright, toothy smile, his eyes closing as he ruffled Helen's tangled hair. Helen stared, remembering ever single moment they've spent together.

.

.

"Why. . . Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Your eyes. They're beautiful."

.

.

.

.

.

"I think you are foolish."

"I know."

.

.

.

.

.

"You're my best friend, and she's not. You're more important to me, Helen."

"You're crazy."

.

.

.

.

.

"Y/N, it isn't lighting up."

"That's because you crushed it, silly! Be more gentle next time, okay?"

.

.

.

.

.

"Shhh . . . It's okay, Helen. We're gonna get out of here alive. I promise."

.

.

.

.

.

"I know, but still. Please take care of yourself.."

"Awe, you care!"

"H- Hey! You're crushing me!"

.

.

.

.

.

"I want to protect y/n."

.

.

.

.

.

"Bye, Helen. You're my best friend, I love you so much."

"I've never really said this before, It's kind of new, but I uhm. . . I- I love you too."

.

.

Love. Helen looked up at y/n and he couldn't help but smile back.

Y/N seemed to lean in a bit, one hand cupping Helen's face. They were so close their noses touched. Helen could feel heat rising to his cheeks, making them pink as he stared with narrowed eyes. He could feel y/n's gentle breath against his skin. Their lips grazed eachother.

Helen shook his head and looked at y/n again, who wasn't close, who wasn't cupping his face, who wasn't about to kiss him, only hugging him.

An illusion? Imagination?

Why would he imagine that?

Helen blushed and gently put his head on y/n's shoulder, hiding his flustered face. Y/N chuckled and pulled him closer, smiling at his warmth.

What was that?

Why did he imagine them kissing?

This is weird. . .

Helen isn't used to the feeling. The feeling of love. It is new, yet. . . It makes him happy? Being in y/n's arms makes him happy. Even if he was in love with y/n, just being friends was just fine too.