Part 1: Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

As soon as their car left, my mind left their peculiarities and went straight back to my new favourite enraged project.

Theo met me in the hall. "Mistress?" he asked.

"Yes, Theo?" He looked a bit nervous.

"Are they gone?"

"They are on their way."

He paused and inhaled slowly. "I let Jamie see printouts of your guests?"

"Why?" I was curious.

He furrowed his brow. "He asked, and it seemed like he was willing to disobey and leave our room to find out. I made him promise not to leave no matter what and to stop calling you a..."

"I don't care what he calls me," I reminded him with a smile and tilted my head to indicate that Theo should walk along with me.

"Well, I know, but Marcel does."

I smiled wider at that thought. "Those two certainly are not fond of each other."

"Well, he spends all his time scowling and plotting against you, Mistress."

My amusement was hard to hide. "Don't worry, I'm well aware. He hates me with a passion. But what did he want?"

"It seems he's looking for someone. I also told him about the databank, it was only after that I realized I might have erred. Apologies, Mistress."

I waved my hand lazily. "It will be fine. In the end, I'll compel him not to speak of it if absolutely necessary. He might loath me, but I rather doubt he'll be running around tattling on me to any other vampires any time soon." I chuckled.

"Thank you," he said. "And he was hoping to see more. I told him he had to ask you himself."

My grin displayed my sharp canines. "Perfect, Theo, perfect. You did very well."

Jamie must have hated this particular choice. I wondered how long it would take him to seek me out.

* * * * *

At the stroke of midnight, there was a knock on the door.

I was not there to hear it, because I did not want Drak to know that I actually was really excited to see him again. Instead of waiting by the front door, I lounged in my queenly chair in my chamber as if I were too good to go down and greet him.

A minute after midnight, footsteps sounded in the hall followed by a knock on the door.

"Open it," I ordered my guards.

Drak strode in as if he owned my home. He probably thought he did, as if we were a part of some shared collective. He was classically handsome with dark hair slicked back off his face as if he were the infamous Dracula himself.

He was not named after Dracula, however. His mother had apparently misspelled "dark" and thought the name looked "cool".

Seriously, who would name anyone something like that? But at least, the name had a pleasing sort of irony.

I narrowed my eyes to hide my pleasure at his presence.

"Hello, Vienne!"

"Hello to yourself, shiftless bum."

"Ouch, you're mean. I've actually missed you, stodgy government drone."

"I've missed you too, I'm hardly a stodgy drone, and your timing is truly awful, Drak. Come, we'll go somewhere we can sit down more comfortably," I said begrudgingly and he followed me out into the hall. My guards trailed behind us.