Chapter Sixteen: Time To Fly

Jupiter sores over the eighth jump. He and Sarah have jumped a clear round so far. They are on fire. Bishop and I have been watching her from the sidelines with the live results on our phones. 

Together they make a tight corner, cutting in between the second and fourth jump, to get to the double. Jupiter makes it look easy and in a blink, they are over it. Sarah taps Jupiter with her crop to give him one last push over the final jump-a red oxer with Rudolf-shaped wings.

I can hardly breathe. Come on Sarah!

I watch as she lifts in the saddle perfectly and Jupiter clears the jump by miles. Bishop and I can't help but clap despite everyone's serious silence.

"Quick check what place she's come," I squeal, shaking Bishop.

He swipes through his phone desperately searching when suddenly Bishop gasps. "Maddie! She won!"

I do a small clap out of excitement. I peer at Bishop's phone and see with Sarah placing first, Cami was bumped down to seventh. That'll show her.

Sarah dismounts, breathing heavily-she is almost as tired as Jupiter. Her face has a big smile spread across it and I can't blame her.

"Sarah! You won," I shout as Sarah approaches us.

"I did?"

Bishop scoops her up in a hug. "Of course you did."

Sarah releases Bishop and immediately hugs me. I'm so happy for her but Virgo and I's ride is soon. We let go of each other and I see Alex. 

He and Tom are laughing together holding their horses. Alex is just after me in our round. How can he look so calm?

"Why are you looking at them?" 

I turn to Bishop. "How can he be so calm? It's infuriating."

"Why are you so worried about him? He's Alex he just rides the wave of life with no worries."

"Exactly."

"Do you like him or something?" Sarah giggles.

Now that's infuriating. "God no. We hate each other."

"Then why won't you stop looking at him?" jokes Bishop. 

I clap my hands together, a fake smile on my face. "Welp, I need to get Virgo ready. See ya!"

"Won't you come to get my ribbon with me?"

Before trudging to Virgo's stall I turn back and yell, "I need to get ready soon show me after my round."

---------------------------------------------------

I'm shivering all over walking towards the warm-up ring. The class commenced ten minutes ago and my time in the warm-up ring is edging closer. This will be my fourth meter twenty course at a competition and describing myself as nervous is an understatement.

Virgo halts by my side as we reach the arena where a young woman rides a grey around the course. I watch her like a hawk, remembering where each jump is as she soars. Her round looks speedy and she finishes her round clear.

There is no jump-off today, it is just based on time alone. One-shot.

They exit the ring and the next rider enters. 

"Nervous? You look nervous."

Alex. How did he creep up on me? I take a shuddery breath.

"Maybe."

He scoffs. 

"So why aren't you? Are you too good to be here or something?"

Alex frowns. "No. Have just done it many times before, it is just natural."