Chapter Six: The Phone Call

The grandfather clock in the clubhouse's family room strikes seven o'clock. After dinner, the boys had tackled their way to where they sleep which is not actually in the clubhouse but in an old tack room that has been re-done into a large room with four different sleeping areas. 

Alex had slinked up to his room and Sarah, Lily, Katy, Ella and I are now sprawled out on couches in the family room, watching old movies. The four girls and I had just unpacked my suitcase and decorated my part of I's and Lily's room in between laughs and stories.

"I can't believe I'm tired and It's not even eight," groans Ella, playing with the tassels on a decorative pillow.

"You're weak, Ella," Lily says. "I mean it's summer. Most people are out partying or on a beach somewhere."

"Sorry Maddie has a thousand things to carry," Katy laughs.

I sit upright. "What?! I didn't pack that much stuff  and I thought you liked hanging up my pictures."

Katy sighs and slips off the couch onto Lily. "Sadly I did."

"Do you mind?" demands Lily, pushing Katy off her.

Sarah laughs from her spot on the couch next to me. "No, no she doesn't."

Sarah has become more open with me as the night goes on but is still quite shy. She did braid my hair so it matched hers which was nice. I hardly do anything with my hair since I don't know how to braid-a fact that shocked Sarah.

Lily laughs and gets up from her spot on the ground. She grabs her glass of water with Aliens playing on the huge tv behind her. 

"Ok, ok whatever. We just hope Maddie that you have fun competing with us and suffer with us as you start your online school journey," Lily smiles, holding up her glass.

The girls cheers me and a warm sensation fills me. I haven't felt this much love in a while. I might finally have a true family.

"Wait, is online school hard?" I ask, putting my own cup down.

Ella puts a hand on my shoulder while everyone else laughs. "It isn't for you, you're only in Year Nine!"

"Oh, I apologize you are in Year Eleven," I joke.

A pillow flies into my face coming straight from Lily. "You don't know how lucky you are."

I find myself in another round of laughs with these new girls. Lily sits down next to me and turns the tv's volume up. I have this strange feeling about Lily, that she will be my protector here. Suddenly something vibrates in my pocket and I pull out my phone. It's Dad. I forgot to call him! 

"Hey, Lily," I whisper to her, "is there a place where I can take a private phone call."

Lily stops twirling her long hair between her fingers. "Sure, just go-

"Just take it here," Katy tells me. 

I open my mouth a fraction to argue but Lily interrupts.

"Katy, somethings should just stay private," she snaps. "Go into Alex's room. It's the first on the left upstairs."

Yep, no way. Ten thousand alarm bells are going off in my head.

"Oh, me and Alex aren't on great terms," I try and explain.

"Go!" Lily demands, pushing me off the couch.

I can't argue with her so I swiftly stand and exit the living room. As quickly as I can, I rush up the stairs to the second floor of the house which from what Lily tells me is strictly a Bruno family area. I go to the door on the left-all white with a silver door handle. My hand goes to knock but I notice the door is already cracked open. I edge closer and put my eye to the crack to examine Alex's room, my phone still ringing in my hand.