Chapter Two: Antonio Bruno: Everyone's Hero, Alex Bruno: His Moody Son

Justin pulls the car towing the float holding Virgo into the driveway of SEC and a wave of nerves hit me as I take it all in. The stone gates we pass through look old in a beautiful way like they hold a million memories. The white, gravel road is windy and at every bend, I clench the passenger seat tight. Bushes pruned to perfection line the roadside and the grass is so green, not like typical grass I see which is always yellow and crunchy. The groundsman must be paid heaps to keep up this amount of gardening.

 I can see a couple of cross country fences built on the outskirts of a cluster of thick pine trees-that gets my heart racing. In the distance, I spot a large arena with a showjumping course set up with high-quality jumps put up to a height that even the thought of jumping scares me. My eye is drawn to the stable that is set off to the right surrounded by paddocks and white picket fences. Virgo will be happy here if we make the team. That's a big 'if' though.

 I slink back down in my seat and thoughts of failing wrap my mind. This is not the quaint, old riding school I'm used to. The best riders train here, I'm crazy to think I'll be good enough. I want to go home now. Will save me the humiliation of not making the Junior Competition Team.

"Penny for your thoughts, Miss Maddie?" Justin asks.

I run my fingers faster through my hair. "I'm definitely not good enough to be here, Justin. Please take me home."

"Why's that?" Justin's face clouds with confusion.

"You work here don't you?" I exclaim, waving my hand at the window.

Justin just chuckles and I pull my arms across my body. "I'll never make the team."

"Sure this place may have money and a lot of flashy facilities. Yes, the riders here may have the best horse or the most expensive tack," Justin says, "but having all these things doesn't mean anything. It's how you ride and treat your horse that matters."

Justin's wise words make sense. I've known plenty of kids at my old riding school that owned the best tack and an expensive horse but I was still a better rider than them. The self-doubt still doesn't leave me though and I clench my jaw tighter with nerves.

"I'm sure you will do great," Justin says with his smooth voice. 

I nod, pretending to agree.

"We will drop you two at the stables first. You can talk to Antonio and he will talk you through the process of tryouts while I get Virgo and all his tack settled in," Justin explains.

"Ok, that sounds-wait-talk to, Antonio!" I cry.

Justin tries to hold back a laugh. "Of course, he is in charge of this place, Miss Maddie."

"I-I can't!"

Antonio Bruno is so much of a hero to me I could never have a proper conversation with him without fangirling. Margo and I used to watch all his old Olympic cross-country rounds on replay. He's Italian but has always competed for Australia. At the Olympics, he has won four gold medals and two silver-because I'm such a nerd I remember this-in eventing. He is the reason why I've come to SEC, to be trained under his guidance. But most importantly he is why I want to be a professional.

"Isn't he, your hero?" asks Justin.

"I mean, yeah," I whisper. "But I would just make a fool of myself. I mean this is the SEC, it's so professional. I can't just fangirl."

"Then become Antonio's friend," Justin suggests. 

The car suddenly stops.

"I can't just do that, he's could be my future coach and an Olym-hey! Where are you going?"