t w e n t y - s e v e n

Start from the beginning

We've almost reached a set of railroad tracks, passing by shrubbery until suddenly a rather large bush is jostled. We all freeze. I don't smell a walker. Unless the wind isn't goin' in the right direction then it don't matter what I smell and don' smell. Whatever came into contact with that bush had to have been bigger than your normal squirrel or rabbit. Hopefully it's a deer.. but tha's just wishful thinkin'.

Everyone is frozen in a crouched position, while I start to inch forward towards the bush. Please be a deer, please be a deer, please be a deer. If it weren't for Daryl's barely audible breathing right behind me I would think i'm investigating this alone, I don't doubt Rick is right behind him either.

Inching even closer to the bush, not making a single sound, I finally catch a glimpse of what is in it. A small white flurry moves in the bush. Making my aching chest almost be able to relieve a long sigh of relief. Not a walker. Though my investigation isn't over. Whatever I got a glimpse of confirmed that it's too big to be a mere ground squirrel or rabbit.

My nose practically touches the bushes leaves, half-tempted to just rip off the band-aid and see what it is. If it's not a walker I should be mostly safe I'd think. I glance back to Daryl seeing what his thoughts may be or any indication for what to do.

His crossbow is up while he stares at the bush intently and apprehensively, waiting for something. When he catches my look, and front hand on the crossbow to gesture forward to the bush. Alright, rip off the band-aid it is.

I don't hesitate to simply just jump into the bush head first with my teeth bared. Was this what he or I meant when we thought about rippin' off the band-aid? Most definitely not. But, sometimes you gotta run before you can walk. Sticks break from the force of me entering the bush, leaves rustling much more than they were by whatever this creature is. If it didn't know we were sneaking up on it before, it definitely knows now.

And there it was. The fattest and most pale raccoon I'd ever lied eyes on. I stare wide-eyed at it for a moment amazed by the find, watching as fear crossed it's eyes. Before it could even let out a hiss or growl of some sort my teeth were already sinking into its neck, a vicious growl coming from myself. Target practice, Daryl! With that I toss the rag-dogged critter out of the bush and towards where I'd last seen Daryl.

Through a few of the leaves I'm able to see his reaction which was.. startled to say the least. He instantaneously, almost out of reflex, shot a bolt between the eyes of the raccoon. Poor thing didn't stand a chance. I can already smell the scowl Daryl is sending me even though he can't see my face in this bush.

I hop out of the bush, a sense of pride filling my chest. Sure enough, Daryl is waiting for me with a deep scowl. And my response? A toothy bloody grin, while my tail wags from side-to-side. If it weren't for the barely noticeable smile creeping up to him I'd think he'd be more mad, though Rick doesn't even try to hide his amusement, as a low bellowing chuckle escapes him. His own laugh surprises me, making me smile in response.

Been awhile since you've smiled, let alone laugh, Officer Friendly.

Despite my happy demeanor I still have a job, that is retrieving. I go over to the bolt lodged in the over-sized raccoon's head, putting it in my mouth while one of my paws holds down the creature. Pulling the bolt out with a sickening slick sound, I trot back over to Daryl who hold his crossbow in one hand and the other is outstretched towards me empty, waiting to receive the bolt I have. I quickly hand it to him before retreating back to the monster raccoon to retrieve for him.