c h r i s t m a s

A late Christmas special :)
———
Seven's POV
———
"C'mere Seven, I wanna put this lil 'ole thing on ya'," A drunken Merle holds out a little red bandana that says 'nice' on one side and the other says 'naughty.'

"Merle, don't do that to 'im. He ain't like that." Daryl tries to stop the monstrosity from being hung around my neck.

It was very unlike Merle to go shopping for anybody, let alone a dog. "Oh come on, lil' brother. I ain't steal this from that chick the other day for no reason. Plus it'd look mighty fine on Seven over here."

I look at Merle with a deadpan expression. That explains it. So I was right, he didn't buy it out of the kindness of his heart. He stole it out of the 'kindness of his heart.' Yeah right, having that thing around my neck seems like pure utter embarrassment and torture.

Daryl sighs while rubbing a hand down his face, waving at Merle to.. go ahead. Never in my life have I seen a drunken man move so fast and it was all just to put this stupid red bandana on me, flipped onto 'naughty' may I add.

I grumble and walk over to Daryl, him merely just shrugging at me. Oh yeah, thanks a lot, Daryl.

It was my first Christmas.. I only vaguely know what Christmas is though. All I know is that the holiday leaves you with a sense of warmness. Well, that and you get free stuff from people.

I evilly smirk. Sort of like when a crazed doctor just revived Frankenstein so he's there in the corner of the TV screen evilly rubbing his hands together while cackling. Yeah, that's me right now.

Merle wears a shitty stained ugly Christmas sweater, and he'd somehow gotten Daryl to also be in one too. The only reason I know they're Christmas themed is because of the continuous re-run of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, with the overly bloated and cheery man with a white beard (Santa) and of course the red-nosed reindeer.

This whole entire holiday is confusing.. like why is red and green the go-to colors for this? Why not like... black and gold or something?

The fireplace is ablaze, it occasionally cracking and filling the house with smell of the burning wood. Despite how confusing this day was.. it was really nice. Daryl and Merle hadn't argued at all, everyone is having a nice time, I get free stuff. Okay okay, I know that isn't right to think about but it's not like i'm having someone to scold my mental manners.

Merle moved to sit on the recliner while Daryl went and sat on the couch. Their attention instantly on the TV. As if that hasn't been on all god damn day long.

I go and lay in front of the fireplace, the warmth radiating onto my back, it wouldn't be long before I'd need to move away because it was too hot for me. Especially considering I have fur rather than looking like hairless apes. Yes, that was a jab at you, humans.

It wasn't long before Merle sat up, nearly spilling his beer in one hand while smacking the arm of the recliner with the other, "Let's open presents, Seven first!" He announces. God is it amazing to be me right now.

Daryl takes a swig of his beer and stands up before Merle can,"Alrigh', imma have him open yours first." I'm guessing somebody is a lil' sick of Rudolph now? Him and his reindeer gang would probably kick your ass, Daryl. And I ain't helpin' ya'. Unless I see that old white-bearded man, then we're talking. Did I perhaps build a vendetta against him? Yes. He's creepier than Frosty the Snowman. And isn't it a lil' weird and old man would be givin' gifts to kids?

Shaking my head of the.. clever.. thoughts, I watch as Daryl reaches under the Christmas tree for a present. It's kinda bullshit that they can bring a whole ass tree in here but lord help me if I bring so much as a twig inside. Yeah, I have something against the Christmas tree too. "Close yer eyes, Seven," I do as commanded.. despite it being a weird command, I knew what it meant.

I hear something rather hard get placed in front of me, though I don't open my eyes until given the okay, "You can open 'em now." Opening my eyes I see a large bone in front of me, not wasting a second to wrap my teeth around it.

"See? And that's why I saved the deer leg from our last huntin' trip, Darlina," Merle comments from his recliner. I can hear the shit-eating grin in his voice. I'm assuming Daryl thought Merle was a dumbass for keeping this but.. I just proved Daryl wrong. Welp! Sucks to suck.

Daryl scoffs at Merle in return, "Whatever, I have another present for ya' Seven. This one is from me." I watch him leave the corner of my vision, my focus mainly being on the bone in-front of me.

That was until I hear a high-pitch squeaky sound. The sound automatically makes my head shoot up and towards the sound. In Daryl's hand was a little white squeaky wolf plushie. I stand up and walk over to him, sniffing the new toy which he's holding out to me before hesitantly taking it. Being actually gentle with it.

This was the first time they'd actually bought me something besides dog food. And.. something about the plushie was just really nice.

I press my head against Daryl thigh, trying to show my gratitude for this little white wolf. He then pets my head, right between my ears with just the tips of his fingers, "Yer welcome." I can hear the small smile in his voice and when I look back up to him, it only confirmed my suspicions.

Nodding my head to him, I walk back over to my bone and gently set the toy down next to it. "'Ey. Where was my 'thank you'?!" Merle questions, rather disbelieved by me. My expression morphs into one that can only be described as.. mildly annoyed. So, to show him my mild annoyance. I ignore him and lay down next to my new presents with my back facing Merle. A low chuckle from Daryl, musing nearly straight away at my act of defiance.

I put both of my paws on the bone and let the little white wolf sit against my shoulder. Daryl and Merle's bickering can be heard though I tune them out. Almost went a full day without 'em arguing. But I knew it was nothing serious.

The strength of the fire has died down quite a bit, enough for it to create a much more comfy feeling. I unconsciously put my head on my paws, not caring for their bickering or what presents they may receive. This day was good.. maybe even a merry day. A..

..Merry Christmas.

———

I apologize for my lateness. I sorta got swept up with the holidays and a lot of reading i've been doing recently.

I hope to upload an actual chapter soon, though I already had like half of this chapter typed out around Christmas so I decided to finish it and just publish it late.

I hope you all had a great Christmas, and I wish you all a good luck for the new year.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2021.