s i x t e e n

———

Seven's POV

Rick lowers his revolver. I'm unable to see his expression because he is turned away from me, and facing the body of the little girl I was meant to protect. This is my fault.

The most of the group is racked with sobs, if not sobbing they were in shock. Daryl helps Carol stand up, telling her not to look. Though to my surprise she shoves him away and goes back to her tent at a light jog.

Hershel sits at a crouch with Maggie by his side standing with a hand placed on his shoulder as a form of comfort. Behind them is Beth, Jimmy, and Patricia. Beth cries into Jimmy, while he wraps his arms around her and puts his head onto hers. Patricia stands idly by. On the ground is Lori, who is holding fragile, little, Carl.

I walk to Daryl's side, not even nudging him like I normally do. This is my fault.

The two of us walk back to our tent, in complete silence. It's not like he's really gonna talk to a dog 'bout his feelings or some shit.

"C'mon." I follow Daryl over to Dale's RV, Daryl still carrying his shotgun for some reason. From the door you can see Carol sitting on the bench at the table. Daryl awkwardly walks in first, and sits on the counter, his head nearly touching the ceiling. I walk in and lay on the bench opposite Carol. I put my head on my paws and stare up to the two. Carol simply looks back at Daryl with a blank face before going back to looking at outside.

We're probably all gonna get kicked off of the farm cause of this. To Hershel it's seems like we killed his family. But that wasn't his family. Your family members don't try to take a bite out of you when they go for a hug. The Greene's were all heartbroken, and after what has happened I highly doubt we are going to stay. But if that's the case, what's next? Fort Benning? I heard talk that it was really far away. Would we make it?

I close my eyes ridding the thoughts that are racking my brain. I open them again and look over to Carol. This is your fault. If I could have stayed closer to her. If I could have done something to protect her. I was with her! I was the last person who was with her before- that's on me! She was just a little girl, and I was tasked with one thing; protect her. But I failed. Images of her as a walker flash across my thoughts. Specifically of the bite mark on her shoulder and the moment Rick had to put her down. She wouldn't even have to be put down if it wasn't for me.

I close my eyes again, for much longer than I thought I did apparently because soon I hear someone taking steps up into the RV. I open my eyes again to see Lori. "They're ready" She puts her head down. This is hard for her too. She lifts her head back up to look at Carol. Carol doesn't move, or even look at Lori except to see who was here, "Come on" Lori says in a soft voice.

"Why?" I turn my head to her. That's your daughter, you have ta' go. My eyebrows furrow.

Daryl speaks up, "'Cause that's your little girl."

Carol looks up to him, her voice telling, while her eyes are wide with tears, "That's not my little girl. That's some other- thing." She glances down to me, it feeling like a glare before turning back to the window. "My Sofia only had Seven with her in the woods. All this time I thought...She didn't cry herself to sleep. She didn't go hungry. She didn't try to find her way back. Sofia died a long time ago." Ouch. I stand up even though the guilt is heavy, and walk out of the RV. Thoughts swirl around my mind pertaining to how Sofia's death was my fault.