f o r t y - t w o

Daryl's POV

———

The sun had finally set and there was this happy air going around. Hershel had finally woken up, and was alive rather than a walker. The plan was to take this night to just ground ourselves and take a minute to be happy I guess. I should probably go get 'em.

I frown, remembering what Seven had done. What he did was.. new. It was new to both him and I. I just don't want him thinking that killing somebody is something that will fly easily. I scratch the back of my neck. I guess I was just so angry because I didn't know how to react to something so new. I just felt responsible for what Seven did. I mean, I've had to kill people out of mercy. I briefly remember Dale out on that field in the dark night, screaming with a large hole in his stomach. I shake my head away of the memories that decided to resurface. Supposed to be happy right now.

I rub my hand down my face and get up from where I sat in my perch. Some of the others were gathered in the common area, though the majority of the group was back in their cells either chatting away or getting some early shut eye. With the intention to let Seven in on this lighter time since shit hit the fan, I get up and make my way down the stairs. The metal stairs creak with each step I take down, making my presence easily heard by the others in the room. Rick, Glenn, Maggie, T-Dog, and Carl look up to me from around the table they sit at.

The feeling of not having Seven at my side 24/7 is already making me itch a whole bunch. After having him around for two years, it just felt wrong to not have him around. Especially since the dead started rising. Nobody has had my back quite as well as Seven has and he's always someone I can rely on. It made me feel a bit guilty for putting him outside, not to mention how angry I was.

"Are you finally gonna let Seven back in?" Carl asks me. I noticed that the boy had gotten rather close to Seven, which even I found to be surprising. Seven isn't the most tolerable of kids but maybe Carl's fine for him.. the kid is pretty mature.

I put my head up to my mouth and start to bite one of my nails out of habit, before nodding my head. "Yeah," I reply with shortly before continuing my walk towards the door that goes outside.

Once I open the door I'm immediately met with the heat of the sun. The feeling of the temperature alone made me feel only a bit more guilty for leaving Seven outside for so long. Shoulda at least left 'im some water. I mentally kick myself at the thought.

I look around the yard but am met with nothing but silence and the sight of dead walkers. "Seven?" I call out, hoping to see my furry friend make an appearance but he does not show. I look back at the group that's inside with a confused look but they all either shrug their shoulders or have an equally confused face.

I frown and shrug my own shoulders before closing the door and setting off to go look for my companion. I check some of the shaded spots in the courtyard figuring that's where he'd go to keep cool but with ever spot I check he is no where to be found. "Seven!" I shout, calling for him but still am met with nothing.

My chest has a ball of anxiety quickly building up, my mind racing towards the worst case scenarios. With every place I looked there was a great feeling of dread. I can't tell what was worse whenever I checked a spot, the fear he may be dead around the next corner or that he is just simply not there.

While searching, I come across a small hole in the fence. Too big for me to fit through and if there wasn't traces of Seven's black fur on the fence then I'd think it was a little too small for him too. Though seeing the little bit of black fur around that fence had my stomach drop in complete and utter dread and guilt. Please, no.