t h i r t y - o n e

Seven's POV
———

We cautiously make our way into what looks like a cafeteria. All of us on high alert and ready to attack anybody or thing is necessary. The group quietly scans and investigates the room. A dead and eerie silence, like the calm before the storm.

Against the back wall is a small little tower that overlooks the room, having a window and everything. Rick slowly takes the stairs leading up to it, though I cut in front of him. Some may think it's rude, but I don't care. I'd much rather my ass gets jumped and bit than people within our group.

At the top of the stairs in the lookout is what looks like a dead walker. I nudge it preparing for it to get up and lunge at me but it's really dead. How could it have died..?

Rick join my side at the entrance to the tower, my eyes quickly catching the reflective light of what looks like keys. Sweet! I snatch them with my teeth from the dead guard's waistband and look at Rick with a giddy smile. He takes the keys out of my mouth and gives me a scratch behind the ear, "Good eye, Seven." Rick holds them up for a moment with a wave of his fingers presumably showing the others what we'd found.

Making our way down the stairs, Rick walks over to the other gated door in the room. I join Daryl's side, nudging his side for some pets. His hand automatically finds the place between my ears where he gives me a few pets.

Daryl and I move forward as Rick unlocks the door, having to stick his hand through the bars and onto the other side to access the keyhole. As soon as it's unlocked, Daryl and I take point and cautiously move through the cell block, everyone keeping an eye out for any hostilities.

We move through the first floor quickly, leaving it up to T-Dog, Glenn, and Maggie to do a more thorough investigation. We take the stairs and almost as soon as we get to the intersection of the other cells and the walkway we hear something hit a piece of metal, presumably the cell door. Great. Now which one of these cells is gonna have some creature scare the living shit out of me?

Daryl raises his crossbow, Rick behind him, while I lead the way. So glad to be leadin'. Just absolutely delighted.

Slowly making our way by the cells, I can't say I'm all that surprised when a walker slams itself against the cell door. Despite my lack of surprise, the noise and suddenness of something that can kill me, it made me jump and my hairs stand on end. Either Daryl and Rick didn't catch that or they chose to ignore it.

The walker poises raised hands as it tried to grasp at either one of us. Though instead we just lean away to investigate the last cell. This cell also had a walker slamming against its bar but I am a lot less jumpy from it. Rick and Daryl both take out their knives, being careful not to be scratched when they pierce the walker's heads with their weapons.

"Alright, I'll unlock a few cells up here. We can throw these bodies off the catwalk. We shouldn't be high enough where it'd make a mess," Rick tells us. What about me?

"Glenn, Maggie, you two can take Seven to go get everybody else while we remove these bodies. T-Dog, come help Daryl and I with the bodies." Aye aye, captain. I stand up straight with my ears standing on end, trying to imitate a solider before marching off. Those that are here laugh or shake their head at my antics, something like this being bizarre for me. I'm blamin' it on a lack of sleep.