✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ ✿

Start from the beginning

"I didn't know that you people wore suits in this Realm."

"Well, we share lots of things with Earth. And it's a special occasion," he answers, stepping closer to me when a man tries to squeeze behind him. I nearly forgot how crisp and nice his voice sounds, how fancy and royal Steve really is. That's how everyone here is, isn't it? I've only just started to learn about this Realm and the people here, and recently all I've ever known has seemed like nothing. Steve and I can barely hear one another in the midst of all these other adults and youth but Steve continues to speak, leaning forward so that he's close, but not too close. "Lily, I apologize-"

"Steven, please. Just don't." I look up into his eyes but he shakes his head at me.

"I... all I ask is that you hear me out." He glances at the people around us, obviously worried about somebody overhearing him. Still, he holds out his arm, and after a moment of hesitation, I take it. Linking my elbow with his he leads me through the crowd of people, the two of us walking among staring strangers until we make it all the way to the edge of the room. There are fewer tables and there's not as much food being passed around here either, and with the stone pillars that are almost as wide as cars supporting the large roof above us, there's not very many people.

Be that as it may we slip behind a pillar that's close to the wall, allowing us to be slightly hidden in shadow without prying eyes. The space between the pillar and wall is big enough for Steve and I to fit right next to each other, so we both press our backs against the pillar. We stand together for a bit, and after crossing my arms I finally start to realize a few things. My heart begins to pound in my chest, and my cheeks heat up even though Steve hasn't said anything. The people passing by can't see us because of how wide this column is. And... we're standing pretty close to each other. The moment I really start to understand my situation my brain and thoughts become jumbled, but I'm able to focus again when Steve turns away from the wall so that we can face each other.

"So. What do you have to say?" I ask, glaring at him. At least I do my best to glare. The boy standing in front of me right now has been watching over and stalking me for years, when I thought all along that he was only my friend. 

But... is that really why I'm mad? Partially, but I thought that maybe, just maybe, the two of us were getting close. Maybe a bit too close, but I was starting to trust him. I thought I could trust him. And he lied to me. 

"Lily, I'm so sorry. I took on the identity of Chris a few years ago because I needed to protect you. There was no other way to keep you from the Gloaming at the time, so I did what I had to do. I apologize for that, and I mean it with all my heart. All I wanted to do was to keep you safe." He tilts his head at me as he waits for a response, but I stay quiet for a few moments.

"Look, Steve, I know you had to protect me and all, but, why didn't you just tell me when I first got here? Or, even before that?"

"Honestly, I didn't know how," he sighs. "And I didn't want to hurt you." His response kind of stuns me, and I'm at a loss for what to say as I think about his words. "Please, forgive me," he whispers, looking around nervously even though barely anyone within view. "I wanted you to see me for who I am, who I really am, before you saw me as a freak who watched over you for some weird reason. I wanted you to see that there's more to the story than that. I want you to see it, even now. I really do care about you, and I want you to be safe, I-" He laughs, running his hand through his hair. "I'm rambling and making this awkward, aren't I? I only mean to say, Lily, I'm so, so, sorry." My mouth slightly drops but I hold his gaze, scanning him up and down.

"Wow. I... I wasn't expecting this." I laugh to fill the silence in my head, cupping my neck with my hand. "But I understand, Steve. I want to trust you, just as much as you want to keep me safe. So can I just ask for no more secrets between us? Please?" He immediately looks more relaxed at my words, and it makes me smile.