꧁ ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ ꧂

It came as a shock, at the early hour of six am. The sound of a metallic ringing, echoing through a house located near the end of a bright cul de sac. Deacon Anderson knew that at such an hour, a visitor was not a good sign. He stood up, his hands shaking, reluctantly stepping away from his son, Connor, who was merely two years old.

"Hello?" Deacon called, jogging out of the living room and towards the wooden door of his house. With a glance through the peep-hole and a gasp he yanked the door to 1227 Phoenix Drive wide open. In front of him stood a thin, dirty, and bleeding woman staring at a small, bundled blanket in her arms. Despite her current strange and ghastly appearance, Deacon could recognize his sister from anywhere. "Rachel?" 

The woman looked up, her sharp, blue eyes cutting through the early morning light shining on the city of San Diego.

"Deacon," Rachel gasped, relieved as she pulled him into a one-armed hug. Deacon shook her off quickly, pressing his hands to Rachel's shoulders as he studied her.

"What happened to you?" He asked, taking in the blood and dirt smeared on her clothing. With a sharp glance behind her Rachel said nothing, only lifting up the blanket in her arms and pushing it into Deacon's. She leaned down, pushing away a corner of the blanket to whisper hushed words. Confused, Deacon looked down at what he was holding, shocked to see a baby's face.

The baby didn't cry. She only stared. She stared up at her mother with her same icy blue eyes, attempting to reach her arms up towards her mother's face. When Deacon focused on his sister again he saw tears, but was at a loss for words when she started to speak.

"Promise me, you'll keep her safe." She pulled a thin chain from her pocket, an empty clasp at the end to hold a pendant. More specifically, a place for a shiny green Gem meant to dangle from the end. She leaned down, giving the baby's forehead a kiss before placing the empty necklace around the baby's neck. Deacon gazed at Rachel when she finished, and realization poured over him.

"This is for the Gem, isn't it? Have they won?" He asked, frantically studying his surroundings.

"They won't, if you keep my baby safe. There will be someone coming to give you the Gem, and when they do, you need to make sure that Lily is the one who controls it." As she wiped away her tears she pulled her brother into a tight hug, giving the baby one last kiss before backing away from the door.

"Will you be coming back?" Deacon questioned, slowly rocking back and forth as the baby began to cry. Rachel stared into her brother's eyes, looking away when she couldn't bear it anymore.

"You know what to do," she whispered. She glanced at the shiny diamond bracelet on her wrist, and in a bright flash of light, she was gone.

 She glanced at the shiny diamond bracelet on her wrist, and in a bright flash of light, she was gone