Chapter 12: Skylah

A few hours after storming upstairs to my room, there was a knock on the door.
    "Come in," I called from the rocking chair, where I sat with Lovia in my arms.
    My mate's face came into view as he said, "I came here to tell you that supper was almost ready." He paused. "And to apologize." His eyes bore into mine. "I didn't mean to imply that you were incapable of making your own decisions. I know that you are. I was just worried about you, is all."
    The sincerity that I read on his face shocked me. 
    "I didn't mean to be an asshole. I'll do better at containing myself."
    Standing, I walked to be in front of him. Close enough to feel his breath on my lips. I'm not sure why I got the sudden urge to be near him. Let alone close enough to kiss him.
    Why am I thinking about kissing him?
    "It's okay," I whispered, clearing my mind of the image of his lips on mine.
    "No. It's not. I should've never said those things."
    "No. You shouldn't have."
    "I know. I'm sorry." His eyes turned pleading.     "Please forgive me."
    "You're forgiven." He visibly relaxed. "All of you Illyrian males are just enormous, possessive nannies."
    "We're not that bad."
    "Clearly you've never been fussed over by an Illyrian male."
    "I can't say I have." His lips tugged upward before his eyes grew serious again. "But I know that you have. I'm sorry for the loss of your lover."
    "I don't want your pity."
    "I do not pity you. But I can give you my grievances for the loss of an amazing male."
    I looked down, unable to handle the compassion shining in his eyes. "Thank you," I said quietly.
    He only nodded.
    After a moment of silence, Azriel asked, "Are you ready for supper?"
   "I suppose." He turned to the door, presumably to lead the way, until I asked, "Would you like to hold, Lovia?"
    He froze and slowly turned to face me.
    "I would like nothing more." The way that my mate said the words, pulled at my heartstrings.
    Instead of admitting that I offered to let him hold Lovia simply because I wanted to see him holding her, I said, "Good. My arms are growing tired after holding her all afternoon."
    "I am always happy to relieve you if it means getting to spend time with Lovia."
    "You're always happy to relieve me? Did you just offer to fuck me?"
    "What?" His face turned red with embarrassment. "I didn't-" He looked mortified. "You know that's not-" His words stumbled out of him. "Not that I-" Azriel stopped trying to explain himself when he saw the smirk on my face. "Just give me the damn bundle of joy," he grumbled.
    Laughing softly, I gently placed my daughter in his arms. She seemed so much smaller when he was holding her. One of his hands could hold her completely, if he tried.
    "I like your laugh."
    Now it was my turn to blush.
    "Lead the way to the dining room," I said to change the subject.
    "With pleasure."
    I pretended not to notice him stroking my daughter's head in a loving sort of way while we descended the stairs.
    When we stepped into the living room, we were greeted by Azriel's family. The High Lord was seated in a chair for one, with his mate in his lap. I spotted Cassian in the corner, raiding the liquor cabinet. His mate, Nesta, was there, as well. She was sitting on the couch adjacent to Feyre. Next to Nesta was Priya, snuggled in next to Mor. Sitting by Mor was a male with long, red hair, that I have never seen before. One of his eyes was replaced with a gold, mechanical one.
    "Hi, Skylah," Feyre said amicably. "Supper should be ready in just a few moments."
    "I hope you like delicious food," Rhysand added from behind her. "Because that is all my court serves."
    "I know. The food that I have been receiving in my room has been wonderful."
    "I want to hold, Lovia," Mor said, barely keeping a whine from her voice.
    "You hold her all the time," Cassian cut in. "It's my turn."
    "I haven't even gotten the chance to hold her," Priya said.
    "I don't care who's turn it is to hold Lovia," Azriel told them all. "I'm not sharing."
    "Dinner's on the table!" a female voice called.
    "We haven't met before," the redheaded male said, suddenly beside me. "But I'm Lucien. Elain's mate." 
He stuck out his hand.
    So this was the male that Feyre's sister was visiting in the Spring Court.    
    I took his hand. Offering a short, but firm shake.
    "It's nice to meet you, Lucien. I'm Skylah."
    "I've heard a lot about you, since I arrived only a couple of hours ago."
    My eyebrows raised. What have they been telling him?
    "Don't worry yourself, Skylah," I heard Rhysand say. "We haven't said anything embarrassing." He paused. "Well, not embarrassing on your part. Cassian's on the other hand..."
    "Can we move on from me getting knocked over once," Cassian said. "And instead go eat."
    "Let's."
    The dinner table was filled with an assortment of foods. And they all made my mouth water.
    A female with delicate features came into the room, carrying a loaf of bread. When she spotted me, she smiled and said, "Hello, Skylah. I'm Feyre's sister, Elain."
    "Hello," I responded. "Did you cook all of this?"
    "I helped. Nuala and Cerridwen did most of the work."
    "You did an amazing job, Elain," Feyre complimented.
    "Thank you." Elain indicated to the food. "Now eat."
    "Gladly," Cassian said excitedly.
    "Are you ever not hungry?" muttered Nesta.
    "I would be worried if he wasn't," Azriel said as he sat at the table.
    I took the seat next to him. My High Lord sat next to me, Feyre directly across from me. Next to Feyre, was Nesta. Her mate was sitting diagonal to her because he took the open seat on Rhysand's other side. On Feyre's other side, sat Elain. Priya was sitting next to Nesta, with Mor diagonal to her. That left Lucien at the head of the table, adjacent to Azriel.
    I glanced at Rhysand and Feyre.
    "Neither of you sit at the head of the table?"
    A smirk played on Rhysand's lips.
    "Not around friends and family. We like to keep things as casual as possible."
    "I somehow always get left with the head of the table," Lucien cut in. "Despite my dislike for it."
    Not only was the High Lord and Lady's Inner Circle made up of bastards and society's unwanteds, but they also refused to sit at the head of the table when surrounded by loved ones.
    Respect swelled in my chest.
    "Our progressive court is revolutionary and all," Cassian interrupted. "But Elain's cooking is better."  He looked at all of us pointedly.
    "Let's dish up before Cass eats his plate," Rhysand said with a chuckle.
    Turning my head to Azriel, I remembered that one of his arms was occupied holding Lovia.
    "I can take her while you eat."
    He shook his head. "She's fine here. I would appreciate it if you loaded up my plate as the food is passed around, though."
    "I can do that. What foods do you like?"
    "Everything."
    I began putting food on Azriel's plate, then my own, as it was passed around. When I handed Rhysand a dish of peas, I noticed him staring at Feyre. Despite him trying to hide it, I could see concern lining his face.
    I looked to Feyre then, who looked like she was trying not to throw up. She quickly handed Nesta the dish that she was holding. The bowl contained mashed potatoes.
    She nodded to Rhysand, seeming to tell him that she was okay.
    No one else had noticed the interaction.
    They both began eating. As if nothing had happened.
    I brushed against Feyre's mental shields a second later. She let me in instantly.
    It used to be eggs for me.
    She gave me a questioning look.
   I used to make myself eggs every morning for breakfast. They were my favorite meal to make. I felt the High Lord's eyes on me. Then I became pregnant with Lovia and couldn't even smell them without tossing up my stomach. How far along are you?
    Am I that obvious? Feyre responded wryly.
    Only to a female that has been in your position.
    I'm about seven weeks along.
    Ah, I said. The nausea gets better in a few weeks.
   I hope so, I heard Feyre's voice in my head say. I'm surprised that I haven't vomited in front of everyone yet. Although, there have been a few close calls.
    A smile tugged at my lips, but I continued eating.
   If we weren't currently at the dinner table, I would tell you some embarrassing stories on my part.
    Another time, then, Feyre joked.
    It's a plan. I know that we've just recently met, I paused, unsure of myself. But if you ever want to talk or ask questions, I'm always available. First time pregnancies are scary.
    Thank you, Skylah. Her eyes were on me when I looked up. That means a lot to me.
    I shrugged and brought my mind back to my own.   Before I could even take another bite, Rhysand's mind touched my shields. It was a silent request to speak with me. I let him in.
   I wanted to thank you, Skylah. Your help and knowledge is appreciated. A lot.
    I don't mind, was I could think to say in response.
    You may not mind, but we are grateful, nonetheless. Going through pregnancy alone, without anyone to talk to, must have been terrifying. For you to take some of my mate's worries away, means more to me than I will ever be able to say.
    I replayed his words in my head before forming my own. I was shocked by the gratitude in his words.
    My pregnancy was not ideal. Being able to help or prevent someone from feeling what I did, in whatever way, is an honor. Especially a friend.
    I surprised myself with the last line. I hadn't realized that I considered them as friends, until now. Did they think of me as their friend?
    Friends, then. Rhysand said. He must've realized where my thoughts had gone.
    Friends.
    He pulled away, and I was brought back to the conversation that everyone else was having. I think I heard them mention something about a rainbow?
    "Skylah, you need to see the city," urged Mor.   "Specifically the Rainbow. It's where all of the artists create their masterpieces. Including Feyre."
    "You create art?" I asked my High Lady.
    "I enjoy painting."
    "She does more than enjoy it," Cassian mumbled, his mouth full with food. "She also teaches younglings. She's very talented."
    "I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me, Cass," Feyre teased.
    "Don't get used to it."
    "Do you enjoy art?" Azriel asked from beside me.
    "Music," I said, suddenly shy. I've only ever shared my music with Onen. "I can play the cello."
    "The Rainbow also has music," he said. "It has every type of art that you can imagine."
    "That sounds beautiful."
    "It is. We can fly there tomorrow. If you want."
    "Can we walk?" I quickly thought of an excuse. "My wings aren't strong enough to support me, yet."
    "Of course."
    "Then, yes. I will go."
    "I can't wait." He said the words with such intensity that I had to suppress a blush.
    Dinner continued on, filled with conversation. The Inner Circle told me stories and jokes as though I was one of them. I enjoyed feeling like one of them.
    Despite everyone talking, I couldn't stop thinking about going to the Rainbow with Azriel tomorrow. For some odd reason, I could barely contain my excitement.