Chapter 18: Skylah

"Well that was odd," I mumbled to myself as I walked into the house after Azriel took off in a rush. He wasn't being rude or trying to get away from me at all, he actually seemed excited. It was still weird that he flew away abruptly. 
    "Hi, Skylah," called Feyre. "We're in the living room."
    Making my way to where her voice is came from, I found Rhys cradling my daughter in the nook of his arm while speaking softly with his mate. They are the only ones in the room, and based on the disappearing scent of Cassian, they are the only other ones in the house.
    "How was the trial run of parenting?" I asked them both.
    "We're even more excited than before," Rhysand tells me. He brings Lovia up to his eye level to smile at her. "We want our own."
    "We do have our own," my High Lady interjected. "He or she is just not ready to say hello to us in person, yet." She lovingly rubbed her lower belly. Feyre isn't showing yet, but she will soon.
    "Your babe will be here before you know it. Pregnancy goes by quickly."
    "We'll soak up every minute of it that we can get." Feyre gave Rhys a secret smile before turning to me. "How was your tour of the Rainbow?"
    "It was everything that I could have ever imagined and more."
    Feyre walked over to me and laid a gentle hand on my arm. "I'm glad that you are able to see the beauty in it, as I do." She looked over my shoulder. "Where's Az?"
    "I'm not sure. I accepted his offer of living in his spare bedroom with Lovia and then he took off into the sky."
    Pure glee lit up my High Lady's face. "You'll be moving in there? Good for you." Worry suddenly dimmed her eyes. "I hope you're not moving because you don't feel welcome here. You can stay for as long as you would like. Forever, even."
    "No. Of course not. You both have been so gracious and hospitable letting me stay here. Lovia and I have known nothing but kindness from you guys. I'm not entirely sure why I agreed to move in, other than it just feels right to do so."
    "Say no more," she responded with. "I understand."
    Before we could say anymore to each other, Lovia started to fuss within Rhysand's arms.
    "She's probably hungry. Here. I can take her and feed her."
    My High Lord transitioned my daughter from his arms to my own and then said, "I'm very happy for you and Az. You have brought a light into him that I have never seen before. I'm thankful that you have sparked it within him."
    I felt a blush creeping up my neck. "Thank you, my Lord," I said back quietly.
    "Call me, Rhys."
    "Will do. Rhys," I added.
    I turned away from them both and made my way upstairs.
    Once in the privacy of my room, I sat on the rocking chair positioned in the corner of my room. As Lovia started to feed, I talk to her.
    "I want you to know that no matter where we are living and no matter what conditions we are living in, I will always love and protect you, until my dying breath." I looked down at her. "Your father would have done the same thing. Did the same thing. He was never granted the gift of knowing you, but he loved you. And his love was unconditional and undying." I stroked my thumb across her cheek. "And I think that Azriel might be able to love you unconditionally and undyingly, as well," I whispered. "He's a good male. He will be good to us. Whether the mating bond fully develops or not, I believe that he will always keep watch over us."
    I brought her head to my lips and gave her a gentle kiss. "That was from your father." I kissed her head again. "That one was from me." I kissed her one last time. "And that was from Azriel," I told her softly.
    When I looked back up from my daughter, I could have sworn that I saw a whisper of a black shadow.