39|the fallout

Just wanted to take a small break over Christmas, but I'm back with a new chapter now.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year here's hoping that 2021 is better than 2020.

That last chapter was intense, but this one. . .

——————————

I left the clinic fuming, footsteps heavy as I approached the Jeep

I left the clinic fuming, footsteps heavy as I approached the Jeep. Opening the door and climbing in, I slammed it shut behind me.

"What happened?" Stiles asked me.

Shaking my head, I grabbed a hair tie and began to tie my hair back. "Scott's being an idiot. Theo did this; you were right all along."

He seemed to hesitate, before reaching over and taking a hold of my wrist, "You're bleeding. Those look like they're from claws, Riley."

Glancing down, I saw that he was right. I had been so focussed on getting out of there, I hadn't even noticed the blood trailing from three long claw scratches on my wrist. It had to be from when I tore myself away from Scott. "I'm fine, it'll heal."

"Was it Theo?"

"No. Let's just go."

Stiles face grew cold as his voice fell, "Scott?"

I hesitated one moment too long, and he knew that he was right. It looked like he was going to get out of the car, so I quickly grabbed his arm. "It'll only make things worse. I'm fine. Please, let's just go."

Stiles looked like he was going to argue, but eventually just turned the engine on and began to drive. I wasn't sure where we were headed, but anywhere was better than with Scott right now.

As we drove along quietly, smoke began to filter into the Jeep through the vents in the car. Rolling down the window, I tried to shift it out with my abilities, but there was just too much of it. Stiles and I were both coughing as we tried not to choke on it, eyes watering as the smoke reached them.

The boy pulled over to the side of the road and we both climbed out of the Jeep as soon as he came to a stop, coughing heavily. I jumped a little when I heard the door slam from the other side, Stiles' anger beginning to get the better of him.

Walking around to the hood of the Jeep slowly, I watched as he grabbed his wrench toolbox, throwing it to the ground before opening the hood. Going over and picking it up from where it landed, he rested it on the edge of the hood and opened it.

He didn't reach for a wrench, just stared at them all. Taking a step closer, I noticed the biggest one wasn't present. Its spot was empty because it was sitting on the front seat.

Suddenly, Stiles picked up the case of wrenches, turned around, and threw it as far away from himself as he could. I stumbled backwards to move out of his way as he stepped towards the Jeep, slamming the hood shut.