58|back together

Tears everywhere

——————————

"Riley, come on, get up! You're going to be late for school!"

I groaned in frustration as I rolled over, shouting into my pillow, "Five more minutes."

The door squeaked open, Charlotte standing there shaking her head, "Five more minutes and you'll be late."

Sighing, I sat up, pressing the heels of my hands against my eyes. I reached to the other side of my bed, reaching for something. When my hand hit the mattress, I looked down in confusion.

I wasn't sure what I had been expecting, I just had this feeling that something was usually there. Shaking my head, I pulled off my blankets and grabbed my phone to see if I had any notifications.

I had a few texts from Scott, who had also tried to call me. Apparently, I had been really tired, because I hadn't even heard his call. He'd eventually given up, resorting to texting me and saying that he would speak to me on the lacrosse field where he was planning on helping Liam prepare for captain tryouts.

Clearing all the notifications, I looked at the time, when I noticed something strange. My phone background looked different. It was the photo that we had all taken together on picture day, but for some reason, I had cropped it so that only I was in the photo.

While it was a good photo, I definitely wasn't the sort of person to make my background just a photo of myself. Going into my photos folder, I found the original photo of all of us and made that my background.

Scrolling through my photos, I smiled as I scanned through them. Looking at these, no one would have ever been able to guess what we dealt with daily.

My smile faltered for a second as I continued through the photos. Something felt out of place. There were so many photos of just me alone, and I knew for a fact that I didn't take that many photos of myself.

So why were they there?

Knowing I was probably just being paranoid - as usual - I locked my phone, climbed out of my bed, grabbed some clothes, and headed to the bathroom.

After showering, getting dressed and putting on a light layer of makeup, I grabbed my backpack and headed towards the front of the house. Walking into the kitchen, I saw Iris and Charlotte standing around the bench drinking coffee. They were smiling at each other, talking and laughing.

Hearing me walk in, they both looked my way. "Good morning," Iris greeted.

"Hey, good morning. Sorry, I can't stay and chat. Apparently, I'm running late," I chuckled.

Charlotte laughed, rolling her eyes, "And should we be expecting you here for dinner?"

"Yeah, of course," I nodded. "We'll both be here."