Eye Spy [3]

"I'm aware there's probably a better time to be doing all this," Gibbs said as he took a seat in Lieutenant Egan's living room.

"Where were you coming home from, Lieutenant?" Kate questioned as she sat next to the Lieutenant on the couch.

"Camp Lejeune for the weekend." Lieutenant Egan sniffled "It was a Human Resources seminar. When I got home, the base commander and the chaplain were here, and I knew,"

"When was the last time you spoke to your husband?" Gibbs asked.

"Last night,"

"What time?"

Lieutenant Egan broke down crying "I don't know,"

Gibbs kept himself from rolling his eyes "Yeah, but if you could try to remember..."

"I don't know!"

"Lieutenant...I know this is hard,"

Lieutenant Egan sniffled "I'm sorry. Around 10:00. Before I went to bed,"

"Did you know that he was going diving today?" Kate wondered.

Lieutenant Egan shook her head "But he went diving...many times during the week. He was a SEAL. He was decorated,"

"Did he tell you what he was working on?" Gibbs asked.

"No. Tom was very strict about 'need to know'. He didn't discuss his work with anyone, not even me,"

***

"Uh, would you do the honors, please, Gerald?" Ducky asked as he and Gerald walked into the morgue.

"Sure thing," Gerald said as he walked over to the zipped up body bag. Gerald backed away when he noticed the bag move.

"What?"

"It moved,"

Ducky chuckled "I don't think so,"

"It moved, Doc,"

"Remind me to check our inventory of alcohol swab..." Ducky began to explain until he also noticed the movement in the bag. "He certainly was dead on the beach." Ducky unzipped the bag and a crab jumped out.

"Ooh!" Gerald jumped.

***

"What do you think Kate, espionage?" Gibbs asked as he and Kate exited the van once more at a shipyard.

"A Navy specialist is murdered and the classified device he has with him is missing. It looks that way,"

"Yeah,"

"Oh, my God," Kate said as she watched Tony hobble over, still wearing the NCIS coveralls.

"Don't even, okay?" Tony sighed.

"Did I say anything?"

"You were. I know you were,"

"Well, it's, you know, a touch small, but...but other than that, it's fine. And the bonus: no belt,"

"DiNozzo...the anonymous tip?" Gibbs asked.

"It came from a restricted phone. Area code 703," Tony replied.

"Langley, Virgininia." Kate reasoned.

"CIA," Gibbs said.

"Mm-hmm. Man, bet Cal's gonna have a field day with this,"

"Yeah," Gibbs sighed.

***

"It's okay. I've got it, Tony." Kate said as she carried a box into the bullpen "Don't you worry. Wouldn't want to...disturb your lunch,"