High Seas

Gibbs was working on the boat in the basement, while I was reading a book. My father didn't even bother picking up the phone as it rang, I didn't budge either...it was the rule when Gibbs was down here working on the boat.

"Gibbs. Talk," his voicemail ordered causing me to laugh.

"Gibbs, Stan Burley. Put down whatever the hell you're doing with that stupid boat and pick up! I'm working a case on the Enterprise. I sure could use some help on this one. Really could use your help, boss,"

My father picked up the phone at that point "Okay, you got my interest. What's going on, Stan?"

"Two days ago an Arresting Gear Operator went wacko on Liberty in Roda. His crewmates found him naked in a restaurant freezer. His body temperature was one oh six,"

"What kind of drugs?"

"Well, I'm thinking amphetamines. Still waiting for the tox report,"

"Well, to trigger the seizure you're describing, chances are he's a chronic drug user,"

"You'd think. Only his last random piss test was negative. That was less than three weeks ago. I'm in a squeeze, Gibbs. I don't have enough time to work on this one by myself,"

***

"How long did Burley work here?" Kate asked as the team waited in the Squad room.

"Five years," I replied

"Five years with Gibbs? Amazing the guy didn't end up in a straight jacket," Tony joked

"I live with the man, Tony. Are you surprised I'm not in a straight jacket?" I challenged.

"What was that?" Gibbs questioned as he came into the squad room.

"Oh, nothing, boss. Just praising your communication skills," Tony went to sit but I kicked the chair from under him and went back to my desk, Kate high fiving me.

"I really miss Burley. He was cool, you know," Abby noted

"Listen, when you see Agent Burley, would you mind giving him this?" Ducky asked me

"No problem," I told him

"Cricket ball. Well, he was not only an amazing agent; he was also an incredible athlete. And cricket was one of the few games he wasn't an expert in,"

"Ah, shame," Tony said

"Yeah, I think he'll get a kick out of it,"

"Of course he will." Abby inferred "He gets a kick out of everything. I love that guy!"

"Okay. The COD's waiting for us," Gibbs ordered

***

"Just accept the fact that you're going to get lost," Tony told Kate as we were on the flight deck

"Why do you assume I'm going to?" Kate questioned

"Because everyone does. A carrier is a big and confusing place the first time on board,"

"Duly noted,"

"The numbers are stenciled on the bulkheads. First one tells you the deck level. They're called bull's-eyes," I explained to Kate

"Deck level,"

"The second one the frame number. Third tells you the compartment's position in relation to the ship's centerline. The last letter tells you what space is used for,"

"Crossing from port to starboard or starboard to port isn't as simple as going straight across," Tony claimed

"Sometimes you've got to go up one deck and down another,"