One Shot, One Kill

"If it's any consolation, Gibbs, Gunnery Sergeant Alvarez's death was almost instantaneous," Ducky explained as the team investigated a shooting at a marine recruitment building.

"His CO's on the way down here, Duck," Gibbs said. "Can we move him yet?"

"We can't place him on the gurney until we take pictures," Ducky argued. "And Gerald has the camera, and he's nowhere to be found,"

"Can we hurry it up? I don't think Gunnery Sergeant Alvarez would appreciate being seen like this,"

"You knew the man?" Caly asked.

"No,"

"If it's any consolation, Gunny, both Gibbs' are the absolute best we got," Ducky whispered to the corpse.

"My assistant, on the other hand...." Ducky sighed "but that's the problem today, isn't it? The technological advances of the so-called Internet Generation. With their MP-3 players, iPods, and video games. Spinning themselves into a self-induced state of attention deficit disorder. Barely absorbing one cluster of information before the next one strikes their fancy,"

Gibbs knelt to where Caly placed the red string to depict where the shot had originated and where the bullet had traveled. "Where's my bullet, Cal?"

"Hopefully, in this box or the wall behind it," Cal said as she took out her pocket knife. "Rule number 9," she grinned.

"Never go anywhere without a knife," Kate recited.

Tony looked confused. "You sure about that? I thought it was 'Never ask a girl her weight on a first date',"

Caly rolled her eyes at Tony's statement.

"That depends entirely on if you want a second one or not, Tony," Kate argued.

"What do you got?" Gibbs questioned.

"The kids can't tell us much," Tony admitted as he recalled the two male witnesses he and Kate had questioned. "Except for where Alvarez was sitting when he was popped,"

"Several people reported hearing a gunshot around 1300, but no eyewitnesses," Kate added.

"I bet you had no problem getting dates wearing one of these, Gibbs," Tony noted as he looked at the uniforms dressed on the mannequins in the front window.

"Dating was not exactly my problem in the Corps, DiNozzo," Gibbs said. "What'd the LEOs say?"

"It might be gang-related," Kate claimed.

Caly scoffed at the notion as she continued her search for the bullet.

"Alvarez had a couple of ruins with the locals. Last month, they threw a cinder block through the window here,"

Cal huffed in defeat as she was met with the back wall and a hole going through it. "Well, if it was gang-bangers, they're packing serious heat. It went straight through the sheetrock into what looks like some kind of toy warehouse,"

"You three better get moving. Don't come back without my bullet," Gibbs said.

"Sir, yes sir," Caly mocked.

"You think he'd let me borrow his uniform for a weekend?" Tony wondered.

"Gibbs or the dead guy? Either way, gross,"

***

Ducky opened the truck. "Where on earth did he put the gurney? I swear if he's lost inside that MP-3 again...."

"I got the rest of those photos that you asked for," Gerald told Ducky, "and Gibbs said that he wanted Gunnery Sergeant Alvarez out quick, so I staged the gurney near his body,"

***

Caly leads Tony and Kate into the warehouse to look for the bullet.

Tony showed Kate and Cal a doll. "You ever play with one of these as a kid?"

"I was a child soldier. They didn't give us dolls as presents," Caly pointed out.

"Well, maybe if you smiled more...."

"I am trained to use a gun," Cal reminded him.

"Can I help you?" A man called out.

"Oh, yes," Kate said. "We're with NCIS,"

"Stands for..." Tony began to explain.

"The Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Yeah, I'm Carl...AWM. Assistant Warehouse Manager,"

"You've heard of us," Kate noted.

"I watch Forensic Files on Court TV. They profiled a case your department did a few years ago,"

"Really?" Tony asked.

"Yeah, you guys couldn't solve it, so they brought in the FBI, and those guys...."

Caly rolled her eyes at the mention of the FBI and moved further into the warehouse to find the missing bullet.

***

Gibbs followed Ducky and the body out of the building until he noticed a man watching. "Major Dougherty?"

"Yes?" The Major said.

"Special Agent Gibbs. NCIS,"

"Five months in Iraq, I didn't lose a single man,"

"What can you tell me about the Gunnery Sergeant?"

"He was a legend. A career recruiter who never missed a quota,"

"Any ideas?" Gibbs wondered about possible suspects he could put on the list.

"We've had problems with gangs in the neighborhood. Vandalism, mostly. They don't like it when the kids around here choose a career over hanging out on street corners,"

"What about complaints filed from the kids he did recruit?"

"We had a few," Major Doughtery noted.

"We'll need to see those,"

"Not a problem,"

"The real ones, Major. The ones that tend to surface when you don't make your quota,"

"Hell, if it helps you find his killer, I'll give you his whole damn filing cabinet, Agent Gibbs,"

"All right," Gibbs nodded.

***

"Where the hell's the bullet?" Kate voiced as the group continued to sift through boxes. "It's like it just disappeared,"

"Bullets, don't disappear, Kate," Caly noted. "We need to sweep the floor for marks. It may have lost velocity and dropped,"

"That's not how they do it on CSI," Carl reasoned.

"You need to get off that couch more, Carl," Cal growled.

"Was there a pallet or a display right around here, say 1:00 this afternoon?" Tony questioned, changing the subject from the raging teen.

"Uh..." Carl flipped through his clipboard. "Uh, yeah. It went out about an hour ago. It was a load of dolls heading for Richmond,"

"Can you contact the driver?"

"Sure,"

"Good, 'cause we got a new address for drop-off,"