Chapter 26: Derek

So.

Cece and I had finally cornered Derek.

The past week has been quite messy- hell, it was terrible. And we needed answers.

Well I did.

I needed to know why Derek would do Nate so dirty. I needed to know why he would choose fame over his friendships. Even if it gets me punched in the face.

I'm kidding about the last one. Nathan isn't the only one who knows how to run.

Derek refused to meet my eyes. Cece didn't take that well and placed her hands on his cheeks so he could look at me.

But his eyes refused to meet mine nonetheless.

We probably looked like a mess right now- cornering Derek at the pool from gym class. Cece was dripping wet, and Derek was barely dry.

I refused to swim today.

"You gonna say something, shrimp?" Cece asked him, using the nickname we had given Derek over the years.

"Why did you do it, Derek?" I asked him, my voice barely a whisper.

"It's the last year, and me being with you guys has gotten me nowhere." He mumbled, removing Cece's hands off his face gently, "I love you guys, but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices for the fame."

"So it's fame over your friends?" A voice said.

I looked behind Derek to see Nathan, his hair still wet from the swim. He didn't look too impressed, but man he still looked gorgeous.

"Hey man, it was nothing personal." Derek tried to explain.

"It was hella personal." Nathan rose a brow, "You just don't go revealing secrets and saying crap to get a position."

"My bad."

"My bad? My bad??" I could tell Cece was losing it, "How would you like it if I revealed secrets about you?"

"Let's not go there."

"An eye for an eye right?" Nathan smirked, "I believe you know the saying."

"Guys, I don't think we should do this." I sighed.

"But-"

"Guys, I'll talk to Derek. You guys just leave him alone." I asked them politely.

Cece gave me a hard look, and Nathan and her left quietly. Derek sat on the side and I sat besides him. He shook his head, in process of sprinkling me with water, making us both laugh.

I knew it. Derek's still wholesome.

"So..."

"You want an explanation, and I'll only give it to you because I care about you." He shrugged, "Leon, I didn't really do it for fame."

"So?"

"I did it for fun."

"What?"

His eyes lit up, "It's our last year, we should have a little enjoyment. Even if that means throwing your friend under the bus."

"But that's not what friendship is?" I looked at him wildly.

"I don't get why you're upset. I mean, I did you a favor, I just didn't know that the coach wasn't exactly open-minded." He looked away, "I'll make it up to you."

"How?"

"I drop the bet."

This was a generous offer. But the sudden confidence in me just surged and I was enjoying my time with Nathan- even the letters.

"Actually, no. Keep it." I smiled and held his hand, "I might forgive you if you help me with something."

He looked at me confused, "What?"

I only smiled.