Chapter 10: Chess, sports and more...lemonade?

Cecelia only improved in chess to beat me, I have evidence.

She's never used this strategy before, and she's been smiling every time I make a move.

But obviously I could see that her move had a flaw; she left her King in the open. You never do that, no matter the strategy.

I placed my rook in the last square, putting Cece in checkmate. She looked at me, mouth agape.

"How-"

"Dude, never leave your King open, that's just giving way to your opponent." I advised her. "If you want to beat me when the tournament starts, at least try a little harder."

As we put back the pieces, I noticed a hand on Cece's shoulder. Looking up, I looked at a pair of familiar green eyes.

Nathaniel.

I told you I could get used to saying his full name the entire day.

"I noticed this game was over, can I have next?" He asked Cece.

Cece winked at me, and quietly stood up to move to another player. Nathan sat down, and switched the board from white to black. He didn't want to start, did he?

"Sorry, I don't like starting the game, rather analyze my opponent's moves first." He shrugged while I moved my pawn.

"You have a strong strategy," I said as he moved a knight first instead of a pawn. I've seen that strategy before.

"Hey! Before we continue, I got you something." He fumbled in his bag and produced a bottle of pink liquid, "Pink lemonade, noticed you liked it."

"So you remembered?" I smiled.

"Of course I did. Not everyday you find someone who understands you and understands the addiction to pink lemonade." He laughed.

Then followed moments of silence. As we played, I realized that Nathan wasn't a rookie at all in chess.

He beat me in 25 moves.

"Wow, so you aren't that bad at chess, I presume?" I smiled, then held out my hand. "Good game, Nate."

"Thanks Lee." He shook it firmly.

"So are you gonna enter the tournament? I mean, you're really good man," I complimented him.

"I don't know...I mean, it depends with what time it is because I have to go with the athletics team the same day." He sighed, "Extra activities are being put on held because of training."

I noticed a sad tone as Nathan spoke. Like the nosey person I am, I decided to enquire a little more.

"You sound sad, Nathan." I said slowly. "Like you don't wanna be an athlete."

"Can you keep a secret, James?" He asked me while I nodded, "Well, I like being a part of the team, but I don't like how it's taking a toll on my body. It's like I'm training to be the next Usain Bolt or something."

"If you aren't fond of it anymore, then why do it? You can easily just leave." I shrugged.

"And do what? I love running-"

"From your feelings or from life?" I accidentally said out loud and began to blush like a tomato.

Nathaniel definitely heard it; he simply stared at me intensely. It wasn't a cold stare, more like a knowing gaze, and I couldn't help but look away.

"Both, Leon. Both." He simply said, and quietly stood up, "I'll catch you tomorrow."

I frowned as he left. Did I say something wrong? He didn't look too happy.

Sighing, I packed up the chess set and left the room.