Chapter 30: Lords and Luthors

Kara climbed out of bed reluctantly.

With so many responsibilities, she would have to balance her life out.

Just as she was about to grab breakfast, her phone vibrated. She looked over her shoulder. Lena. Picking up her phone, she tried to sound energetic. "Hey!"

"Hey, Kara. I . . . I need your help."

"What's up?" She stifled a yawn.

"My family's visiting. Well, Lex and my 'Mother', Lillian, are, at least. I don't know what they want, but I do know that I can bring people. Could you come and help me out?"

"Sure. Do you need Kara Danvers or Supergirl?"

"I need a friend," Lena sighed.

Kara looked at her calendar. She had to meet Halk Kar to help him with something, then in the late afternoon, she had a date with Mon-El.

Kara paused. "What time do you need me there?"

"They'll be arriving at noon. We'll have lunch, then we discuss some 'business'. My Mother and brother will likely try to convince me against aliens again, or ask me to 'lend' them my tech to destroy them. I'm not sure how long they'll stay."

"Will they ask about my identity?"

"I really hope not! If they do, I'll pretend that I have no clue. Keeping secrets is my forte, after all."

Kara chuckled awkwardly, recalling the countless times Lena had tricked her or lied to her. "Alright. I'll meet you at 11.45?"

"Sounds good. Thanks, Kara. You're the best."

Kara smiled, despite there being no one around, "No problem, Lena."

~~~~~~~~

"So . . . I hope you succeed," Kara gave her friend a pat on his back. She glanced at her watch. "And I gotta go now! Bye!"

He waved awkwardly as Kara dashed behind a tree to change into her suit. What kind of impression would she leave on Lex and Lillian Luthor?

She wasn't going as Supergirl, or the reporter Kara Danvers, but as Kara, Lena's friend.

~~~~~~~~

"Thank god! Kara! You're finally here!"

"I tried to come as soon as I could. Am I late?"

"Not for meeting my family, you're not."

Kara sighed through her breathless panting. "Let's go then."

~~~~~~~~

"Lex. Mother." Lena dipped her chin as she greeted her guests. She gestured for Kara to enter. "Allow me to introduce my best friend, Kara Danvers."

Kara gave an awkward smile as she entered, nodding her head as a greeting before taking a seat on the right of her friend.

"Kara Danvers, huh?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"What's your profession?"

"I'm a reporter."

Silence.

"I'm a reporter at Catco. Worldwide Media. My boss is Cat Grant."

"Isn't she really arrogant?"

Look who's talking.

Lena's heart pounded in her chest and she shifted, well aware that the Kryptonian next to her could hear it. Kara reached, under the table, and squeezed her friend's hand.