Chapter 9: Supergirl

"I want to go out there and help!"

"Kara. That will get you in danger."

"Yeah, but Kal, uhm, Clark does it too."

"He is a grown man."

"I'm a grown woman, Alex!"

The sisters sat in the loft, bickering as to whether or not allow Kara to be a hero. Kara had been insisting for a whole hour, and she knew Alex was looking out for her, but she knew that this was her calling. It had always been.

She saw what her cousin was doing and she also wanted to help. She needed to help. She desperately wanted to save the people of this world. She couldn't save Krypton, but she can save Earth.

"Please, Alex. I'll give you anything you want."

Alex stared at Kara, the latter giving her favourite pleading pout. The staring contest went on for a little while longer, before Alex sighed, "Alright, fine. I'll talk to Mom about it."

Kara whooped, "YES! Thank you so much, sis! You're the best!"

"You owe me one."

"Aand, I take that back."

~~~~~~~~

That feeling of freedom. When had she last felt like this?

She breathed in the cool night air, as she floated way up in the clouds. She had only just returned to her loft and turned the telly on when she heard, "Live broadcast! We have news that a plane that was supposed to land in National City tonight from Orlando is facing problems with its gears. It seems to be heading towards the airport without any signs of slowing down."

Kara's heart stopped short. Orlando? That's the plane Alex was on. She had left on a 'business trip' a few days back and Kara had been anticipating her return. She didn't want it to be like this.

Kara sped to the closet as she pulled on her new suit. She placed her glasses on the table as she took off, flying out the window.

"Please make it, please make it, please . . . "

She pulled herself to a halt. The plane was indeed not stopping. And it's left engine had already caught fire.

Oh no, Kara thought.

She glanced towards the front of the plane. The pilot and co-pilot were desperately trying to slow the plane down.

Kara flew to the front of the plane, catching it with her hands. The metal was warm. She looked around frantically. The closest place that she could land the plane without hurting anyone was the sea.

Her hands strained under the weight of the plane. Her muscles crying out in pain. She opposed the motion of the plane, pushing it toward the water. When she realised that she couldn't seem to do anything at that end, she flew toward the back of the plane.

She blew at the flaming engine with her powerful lungs and freeze breath, as she diverted the plane's path. The flames lessened. The engine stopped roaring. 

She held her breath.

Splash! The plane crashed into the sea, cushioned by Kara's strength. As she resurfaced, she gulped in a huge breath of air. She had done it. She had saved everyone on board the flight.

The world shook as she heard the clapping, the whooping. People were applauding her for saving them. She had never felt happier. Never felt more thrilled. She gave them all a nod of appreciation and affirmation, before she took to the skies, heading back toward her home.