17. "Beep beep bitch"

Text: Cassie | Italics  - Brooklyn| Bold

I took a shower to wake myself up from going to bed later than I hoped. I never realized how exhausting and stressful starting over and moving can be. I still had so much to get, but I've been smart with my savings. Later on, I'm supposed to head to The Playroom about the bartender position. I'm always nervous about starting new jobs because I don't get along with any of the employees, but I need this.

I opened my front door to take out all the trash I accumulated last night and saw a woman leaving Gael's apartment. She briefly looked at me and faked a smile before her messy hair covered her face. Her fuchsia pumps clicked on the hardwood floor as my eyes widened. I could tell she didn't want to be seen, but I got a good glimpse at her long tan legs, rounded nose, and rosy cheeks.

"Wow," I mumbled under my breath and continued walking down the hall to toss my trash down the chute. I've always been good at reading people because I observe and listen, and I seemed to be right about him. There's nothing wrong with sex, but I know he's a heartbreaker.

When I got back to my apartment, I sat in silence, not knowing what to do. I don't have a TV to keep me busy, and for the past few days, I've been using my phone, but that gets old. I'm not used to having so much free time because all I ever did was work.

I rotated my phone in my hands, debating on texting Brooke. I don't know her well, but she's new here and probably could use someone as well. The only way I'm going to break my wall is to talk, so I texted her.

Are you busy today? Do you wanna go shopping? You mentioned it the other day.

I desperately waited for a reply. I doubt she'd want to go because I haven't been the nicest person, but I figured she needed more items for her apartment.

I quickly type in my passcode, hearing my phone chime:

Please! See you around 3?

3 is good!

That was easy. I didn't think I would be the kind of girl that Brooke hangs out with. I'm not swimming in money, and I don't smile for the hell of it. But I was grateful, and I was going to try my hardest to allow myself to have a friend.

I diffused my hair, leaving it wavy with a middle part. And put on light makeup consisting of filling in my eyebrows, coating my eyelashes, highlighter, and my signature mauve lipstick. I wore a thin off-white skirt that stopped at my ankles and a matching long-sleeved crop top. Before walking out of the house, I grabbed my keys, purse and slid on matching sandals. I couldn't hide the excitement of actually doing something in California for the first time. It's not much, but it's something.