72. "Glowing"

Courtney is bold | Cassie is italics 

"Again, sign in and out if you want to get paid. Make sure someone in the office knows if you leave for lunch. Confidentiality is key here at West Shore. You wouldn't want anyone talking about your kids, so don't do it to others. As mentioned, as far as the dress code, you follow the same as the students—skirts or dresses three inches above the knee, no hats, flip-flops, things like that. When it comes to discipline, every child is going to test their boundaries, and you need a plan. Everything will be listed in your packets. Because this is the first experience for all three of you, you'll be watched for the remainder of the year. When it comes to the new year, we'll hire one of you to take on a full-time teaching position here. So, make your time count, and good luck," Chloe, the hiring manager, and teacher, said, standing in front of the empty classroom.

I randomly applied to this job a week ago and got hired for a temporary sub position. I know it's not much, but if I leave an impression, I could be a full-time teacher. I was mostly looking into elementary school, but I'm fine with middle schoolers, a challenge.

There were only me and two other girls, Melissa and Irene, who were also new at this. Chloe was nice enough to give us a tour of the entire school and introduced us to some of the staff. They were nice, very welcoming to us, even though we're new at this. Well, I did an internship my senior year but didn't get paid. It was tough but worth it.

"Thank you," I said, gathering my folder. "For this opportunity."

"You're welcome, Ms. Steele. If you have any questions, my number is on my business card."

"Perfect," I smiled, clutching the folder to my chest. "I'll see you next Monday!" I exclaimed, stunned. I didn't expect this, but this is a smaller, local school that always needed extra teachers.

"Bright and early," She muttered. "Study those curriculum books."

I nodded, ending the conversation so Melissa could ask her questions. I hauled a handful of materials through the school until I found the exit. I neatly placed the items in my backseat before adjusting my pencil skirt to sit down. Before I could start my car, I shrieked, joyfully hitting my steering wheel. I didn't expect this to happen, not so fast. But I'm desperate, and I'll take anything even if it's not working the entire week. Chloe gave me a chance, and it's up to me to blow her away and show her how much I want this—not just for me, but for the kids too.

Not able to hold in my excitement, I turned my car on and called my boyfriend. When he answered, he said, "I was waiting for you to call. How did it go?" His background was loud, but I assumed he was still at the gym. Instead of Gael training today, he was hired to take pictures of the gym and the employees to revamp their website, as he told me. For the past few days, he's been working so hard to get his portfolio together, and I've been helping him try to achieve his dream.