12. "My fresh start"

"Have a great day, and I hope you enjoyed your stay," A staff member said as I stepped foot on the Florida grounds

"Have a great day, and I hope you enjoyed your stay," A staff member said as I stepped foot on the Florida grounds. Immediately, I felt angry about being here and couldn't wait to land in California. So many bad memories that I wanted to forget forever.

I struggled with my bags as I stood off to the side. Outside of saying goodbye to Gael last night, I didn't see Brooke or Noah, but it didn't matter anyway. I was not too fond of goodbyes and wanted to get it over with.

While I watched the guests leave the ship, I called a ride from my phone. I still had a few hours before my flight boards, and I figured that I wait at the airport because there was nowhere else for me to go.

I pushed my sunglasses on top of my head, avoiding the sun as I waited. Part of me was nervous and scared to tackle this journey on my own, but it's a step that I have to take. I hope nothing goes wrong with the apartment because I didn't get to do a walk-through and have only been in contact with the leasing manager. I took a risk, and I'm praying that something, anything, is on my side.

Twenty-minutes later, a guy in a blue Honda rolled his window down and said, "Mrs. Steele?"

I nodded as he got out of the car to help me with all my bags. Once everything was in the trunk, I made myself comfortable in the back seat and pressed my forehead against the window. The driver started the car and pulled off as I glanced at the palm trees and the large body of water.

"Where are you headed?" He asked like my location wasn't on his phone.

I stared out the window and lightly breathed through my nose. "Far away from here."

~~

During the entire two hours waiting to board, I tried listening to music to calm my nerves. I was already nervous walking into the airport because it was confusing, and now my stomach churned, knowing it's almost time to fly. And the music didn't help as much as I thought it would. I should've taken sleeping pills or something to relax me, but I didn't have the idea beforehand.

My leg shook in my seat as I closed my eyes but heard my phone ringing. It was my Mom. I stared at her contact, the picture we took a long time ago and debated answering. But I didn't want it to be an emergency and purposely ignored it.

As soon as I answered, she didn't give me any time to speak. "Cassie, I talked Craig into letting you back home under his circumstances, of course. I told you it was only temporary, but please just listen to him." She said in one shaky breath. I could tell she was mumbling because I could barely hear her, but that was the least of my worries.

I deeply sighed and remained stuck. "I'm n-not coming back."

She seemed surprised and didn't like my answer by her sound effects. "Then where are you going to stay?" She asked me.

My mood changed as I tried keeping my voice down. There were plenty of people around me for the same flight. "Are you serious? You should've thought about that two weeks ago?" I heard my phone ding, but I didn't check it right away.