37. "Hit gone wrong"

Cassie is italics | Gael is bold

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Gael?" Courtney stammered, keeping her voice low. I wasn't supposed to work tonight but got called in at the last minute because it's Gentlemen's night. I managed to start my shift without Courtney drilling me, but somehow she found me. "You weren't busy when you were fucking me before?" She ruefully laughed, turning her face.

Courtney annoys the fuck out of me now. I don't want to be an asshole because we work together, but fuck. "I'm going to say this one more time, Court, and take it how you want because I'm tired of repeating myself to you." I roughly wet my lips and cleared my throat. "This is done. Stop fucking texting me." She crossed a line when she brought my mom into shit, thinking she had a place or a say in stuff and didn't.

She sucked her teeth and stared at me with rage. "You know how many times you told me to stop texting you, but you always come back? I fucking thought so." I kept my voice down, but enough to where she could hear me over the loud music.

Does she not listen? "Cause I don't have to try hard, Court." I threw my arms up and scoffed.

Before I could walk away, I heard someone calling my name behind me. "Gael?" When I turned around, I saw AJ, Terrence's nephew. I narrowed my eyebrows, adjusting my facial expression because he's not supposed to be here, and I should tell him to go home. A couple of months ago, we got into a bad argument because he started using drugs and drinking, thinking that shit was cool. I took it hard because he's a good kid but gets lost in worrying too much about his image and following after the wrong people. He's only twenty-one, and I promised Terrence that I would look after him like I do, Noah. And the club is not the best place to be.

I grabbed his arm and pushed him to the side, away from the crowd. "The hell are you doing here, Bro?" I said as he glanced over his shoulder and clenched his jaw as his dark dreads followed.

"I expected a nice to see you, or how you been," He mused, not thinking I was serious. "But I'm not doing anything, just meeting this stripper that I'm trying to talk to."

Out of curiosity, I asked, "Who?" I rolled my neck and leaned on the wall behind me.

With a big smile and a head nod, AJ said, "Summer. I tried hitting her up on Instagram, but she must have thought I was broke and told me to come. I'm just here to show her I ain't fucking broke." He clapped and rubbed his hands together.

At first, I had no clue who the fuck Summer was and if he made that up or got played, but then I remembered. Summer works part-time at The Playroom because she is usually at Cheerleaders and never talks to anyone here. And I've tried hooking up with her before, but she rejected me.

"I also wanted to apologize for what I said a couple of months ago. I know you were looking out for me, but I'm not on that shit anymore." AJ continued. "I talked to Noah too, but I wanna make sure we're good."