10. Rumor Has It

I rubbed my eyes and yawned.

I wish I had gotten more sleep last night. I didn't get more than 4 hours.

Casey and I ran back to the theatre and went to return my dress before 12 am. The problem was that the security guard showed up at around the exact time we were leaving so we had to hide.

It was just the two of us hidden between dresses for about 30 minutes until security left.

But even after he left, we were still too scared of getting caught so we stayed there for another 30 minutes.

Then it took us an extra 20 minutes to get back to the dorm and when we did, some of the girls in our house needed help cleaning because there was apparently a small party there too.

By the time we got to bed, it was 3 am and then I was up at 7 am writing my newspaper article that was due at 8.

I think it should be illegal for clubs to have meetings on Sundays. This was one of my only days off. I should've been in bed right now.

Instead, I was sitting in a small computer lab classroom with about 30 other kids discussing the monthly school newspaper that was about to go out in an hour.

I should've grabbed a coffee.

Our advisor mumbled on about how proud she was of the articles we wrote and did her usual speech about how "News is the gateway for new information and binds us together" blah blah blah.

If you could imagine a smaller version of Mrs. Darbis speaking about our newspaper like it was the New York Times, then that would perfectly describe Mrs. Allen.

As an Editor, I read most of the articles before they go out and I doubt the new seasonal Starbucks drink was important news.

"Okay, now for a super important announcement." She said clapping her hands together. "I've noticed our numbers drop recently in monthly viewing so I've come up with a plan to get OSU buckeyes more engaged in The Early Bird News."

Some people piped up in interest. I did too because the quicker she talked the quicker I could get back to my bed.

"I've decided to create a new section in the newspaper." Everyone looked at each other in confusion.

I edited the columns every month. She never told me about this.

"I kept it a secret because well..." She paused and smiled brightly. "It's a gossip column."

Everyone started talking loudly and I just stared at her like she had five heads.

Did I hear that correctly?

"But Mrs. Allen doesn't that go against our journalistic integrity?" Mason, our sports journalist said. "It's gossip, so it's most likely not true."