53. Bright lights and Red eyes

Maya's POV
Wednesday
February 17th

7:28 pm

I rubbed my itchy eyes as walked down the cold corridors of the science building.

I hadn't been in this building since my freshman tour of the campus.

Ben had asked me to meet him at one of the labs. He apparently had something that was really important to tell me.

The day had already been hell for me. I spent the morning comforting an inconsolable Gen who was freaking out about our money situation.

Casey was looking for apartments in New York that we could afford. I even had to tap into my savings to pay some of Gen's tuition.

Aunt Lucy's message was loud and clear. I just never thought it would get this far.

My stress level was on 10 and to add to that Will said he wanted to meet up later tonight to talk.

I wasn't even sure if I was ready for that. I wanted him to just forget about me but I also wanted him back.

I was fighting with myself on this one.

I sighed. I didn't even know what room to find him in.

I passed by 3 lab rooms, so far each of them with students in night classes.

I passed another open door when I heard someone whisper my name.

I walked back, seeing Ben sitting on a lab bench.

He had goggles on, a blue lab coat, and blue gloves.

I walked into the room and approached his desk.

"Woah, Woah, Woah." He said sitting up quickly. "You can't just walk in with that attire."

I looked down at my clothes confused. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

I had on a cream sweater and light blue jeans with my black vans.

He walked back to the entrance of the room and grabbed a lab coat and goggles.

"I'm not doing an experiment. I don't think I need those."

He shook his head like I had said the craziest thing ever.

"Everyone in the lab must be protected." He handed me the coat and googles and I sighed.

I placed my bag on the stool next to me and placed the goggles over my eyes.

I pulled the lab coat on taking notice of Ben's experiment.

There were a bunch of beakers and glassware hooked up together in some kind of filtration system.

I placed my bag on the ground and sat on the stool with my elbows on the table.

"What was so important that you dragged me all the way here for?" I said yawning.

He lifted a pipet over top of a glass cylinder filled with some clear liquid. He squeezed it once and a drop fell into the glass causing the clear water to turn dark blue instantly.

A small smile appeared on his face and he placed the pipet into an empty beaker.

"Right." He said realizing that I was still there. "There was something I needed to tell you."

"I'm all ears."

He cleared his throat and sat on his stool facing me.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you this because I promised that I wouldn't."