29. Christmas gifts

Friday, December 11th

10:22 am

I stood in front of Will's dorm house with the record in my hand. It was wrapped and tied with a bow at the top.

Most students were already home or on their way out so no one seemed to notice me as they packed cars and moved boxes and bags in bins.

The front door was left open so I walked in through the foyer.

The last time I was here, I was running out trying to hide my face so no one would see me. I wasn't being as careful now.

I walked up the main stairs and moved my way past the bedrooms till I found his. The hallways were empty except for a box here and there. I reached my hand up and lightly knocked on the door.

"Will? It's me, Maya." I said lightly.

There was a slight rustling sound and then the door opened slowly.

I gave a weak smile and he looked at me shyly.

"Hi." He said awkwardly.

"Hi, I just wanted to give you your Christmas gift. I wasn't sure when you would be gone, but I'm leaving tomorrow so..." I trailed off.

I stuck out my gift to him and he took it. "Thank you."

His voice came out scratchy and small.

"Well, I'll see you around," I said with a weak smile.

"Wait. I, um...got something for you as well."

I looked at him slightly surprised. "You didn't have to do that."

Strangely enough, I didn't expect him to get me anything.

He turned and moved towards his desk, opening the drawers. I peeked in his room and saw a couple of boxes and duffle bags filled up.

He returned back to me and handed me a small slim box-shaped gift.

I pressed my finger against it lightly and felt the firmness of it. If it was a book, it was definitely a hardcover.

I looked at him and smiled. "Thank you."

He nodded and I moved back awkwardly. "Umm, well, have a Merry Christmas and good luck with football."

He nodded again and I slowly stopped myself. "About last night..." I started.

He shook his head. "It's alright. I was just surprised to see you is all. Didn't know you and Spencer were...." He didn't continue. I wanted him to say more. I felt like he had more to say.

"Right." I pressed my lips firmly together. "Are you mad?"

"No." He said quickly. I noticed the hard outline of his jaw become more prominent. Almost like he was grinding the back of his teeth.

"You sure?" I said unconvinced.

He looked past me and gave me a curt smile. "Yep, positive."

"Okay. Bye." I knew he was lying.

"Bye." He closed his door and I walked towards the stairs.

I walked towards the entrance and passed by a suitcase.

I felt weird leaving us like that. But hopefully, I'd see him in Florida.

Turns out I was going after all. After Casey had brought up the idea to Ben, he told us that he had a grandmother that lived in Florida.

Only 30 minutes from the stadium.

He called her up and she said she would be happy to take us.

Casey was nervous about meeting Ben's family and I was just nervous in general. I'd never been on a plane before and anything could delay this whole ordeal.