34

November 30, 2018...

Back at the ice rink once more to prepare for new competitions the next year and practice, Chaerim and Sunghoon were in much better shape. Chaerim was focusing on her career of being a professional skater while Sunghoon was focusing more on his training. While they were taking a small break, the two sat on the bleachers to talk to each other.

"Sunghoonie, I've made my decision," she exclaimed softly, "I'm going to Toronto."

"Chaeri-ah," he said, "I'm so happy for you. I really am."

"I'm sorry, Sunghoon," Chaerim whispered, almost without a sound.

"Why? Why are you sorry? You did nothing wrong."

"You told me you weren't going to leave me, but I'm leaving you first. I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry about," Sunghoon responded, "I promise you that there will be no regrets.

**

December 7, 2018, the night before Chaerim's flight...

Chaerim and Sunghoon spent their last time together at the playground. Though it was a trivial spot, it was a place full of their childhood memories, the happiest ones. In their parkas, sitting on the swings, the cool winter wind brushed against their cold rosy cheeks.

"I never imagined that I would be leaving on such an odd date," Chaerim sighed, "It's crazy how I have everything packed already and I leave... tomorrow."

"Yeah, I know right. Who knew you would leave on my birthday," he laughed bittersweetly.

"I'm sorry, Sunghoonie."

"Yah, Chaeri, I told you to stop apologizing. It's not your fault that the flight is tomorrow," he retorted.

"I know, but I just feel so bad. We've never celebrated each other's birthdays apart from each other. It's going to be so weird not spending our birthdays together for a while," Chaerim said.

"I mean we'll end up calling each other at some point, right?" he questioned.

"I suppose so. Anyhow, I have a little something for you."

She pulled out an envelope and a small square box from her pocket, wrapped in a white and silver wrapping paper and shiny silver bow.

"Don't open this now. Open it tomorrow, on your actual birthday," she said handing him the gift, "Happy early birthday, Sunghoonie."

Receiving the gift, he immediately engulfed her in a big hug and kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you, Chaeri."

"Of course," she smiled warmly, "It's getting late and I have to wake up early tomorrow."

"Wait what time?" Sunghoon asked.

"4:30 am."

"I'll see you off!"

"No Sunghoon, you need your sleep. Besides, I know you're going to be training really hard for the next few months. You need all the rest you can get, okay."

"Please," he insisted, giving her puppy eyes.

"No, I refuse," she teased, "I don't want you to have to wake up because of me."

"Well I refuse," he retorted childishly.

"I won't allow it."

"Yes, you will."

"No, I won't."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Fine," Sunghoon whined in defeat, "But at least call me once you arrive in Toronto."

"I'll call you many times and text you every day," she exclaimed.

**

December 8, 2018, 4:15 am

In her thick parka, carrying her suitcases, Chaerim walked out of the apartment with her mom. Before leaving the complex, Chaerim made sure to visit one particular person.

Knocking on the door as softly as she could, the door to Sunghoon's apartment opened.

"Chaerim," Mrs. Park whispered while hugging the tiny girl, "I can't believe you're leaving already. What time is your flight?"

"I can't believe it either," Chaerim whispered, hugging her back.

"Are you here to see Sunghoon? He's still sleeping."

"I know," Chaerim exclaimed softly, "I knew I would start crying if he came to see me, but I still want to see him. But I'd rather see him sleeping."

"Aw, Chaerim," Mrs. Park gave her a sullen look, "Okay, come on in."

Chaerim silently slipped her shoes off and tiptoed to the back of their apartment, where Sunghoon's room was. The house was still dark and the curtains closed. She located his room and opened the door as quietly as she could. Chaerim saw the boy peacefully sleeping in his bed. Looking around his room, she noticed that the ribbon from the gift she gave him was undone and the envelope was open.

"He's so impatient," Chaerim laughed to herself.

Walking closer to Sunghoon, she admired his face one last time before her departure. Crouching down, she gently stroked his face with her petite fingers and traced over the moles on his face.

"Happy Birthday, Sunghoonie," she whispered, "I'm going to miss you so much. Goodbye, for now. I know we'll see each other soon."

She caressed his face once more and gently kissed the top of his forehead.

"I love you, my skater boy."

—————————————————-
a/n: happy ni-ki day 🥰💓

—————————————————-a/n: happy ni-ki day 🥰💓