26

Alpen Trophy Day 2...

Chaerim's eyes fluttered as the bright sunlight shone on her face. She stretched her arms and sat up.

"Today I will claim my victory."

As usual, Chaerim neatly applied her makeup and did her hair. She put on her dazzling purple dress with rhinestones for this morning's performance and grabbed her bag with her skates in it, heading down the stairs. It surely gave her a mystical feel.

When she made her way down to the empty lobby, she realized that something was off

When she made her way down to the empty lobby, she realized that something was off. Both Sunghoon and coach Ji weren't there yet. She pulled out her phone and quickly dialed up Sunghoon.

"Hello," a groggy voice responded.

"Yah, Park Sunghoon, where are you? You and coach-nim should be down here by now," she complained.

"Chaeri," he yawned, "It's 6:50 am, the competition starts at 8 am. Why are you rushing?"

"Exactly, Sunghoon," she responded, "It's 6:50 am and the competition starts at 8 am. I need to warm up and coach Ji needs to come so we can check in for day 2. So hurry up and get out of bed. I'm going to go call coach Ji. See you soon."

She hung up the phone as Sunghoon sighed deeply.

"It's too early," he murmured while sitting up, half asleep.

**

7:15 am

"Hurry up! Why are you guys so tired today?" Chaerim questioned as she rushed into the ice rink.

"Sorry, Chaerim," her coach yawned as she tried to speed up to Chaerim's pace, "I'll go get you checked in and you start stretching."

She nodded as she departed from coach Ji and Sunghoon.

When she arrived at the section where all the competitors were stretching their legs and arms, jump roping, and practicing their turns, she saw her again.

"Don't think because you won first place in the short program makes you win the free skate," Lada snarled.

"I never said anything," Chaerim scoffed, "May the best one win."

Lada rolled her eyes as she walked away from her.

"She's older than me yet is so immature," Chaerim thought with irritation.

**

"The ladies' free skate round begins," a man's voice announced on the speaker.

All the women and young women had finished their warm-ups and practiced their jumps on the ice and then were called back. As the free skate round began, Chaerim looked at the women with admiration though the performance weren't the best. She thought it was amazing to see people with such determination and strength.

"Next up is Lada Nikolaeva of Russia."

Lada grinned as she flaunted past Chaerim in her black dress with red roses and rhinestones. Her brown hair was tied in a neat bun and had cat eye eyeliner with ruby red lips. Her presence surely shone among the competitors and compared to Chaerim in her purple dress and simple makeup.

The crowd cheered loudly as Lada skated to the center of the rink with her arms positioned. The music began and Lada elegantly grooved her body to the classical piece.

"Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso," Chaerim thought, "Interesting selection yet a good choice."

"I'm not going to lose," Lada thought while concentrating on her choreography, "I can't lose... mom is going to be so mad at me. I need to bring back gold for Russia."

While going into her quad salchow, she quickly widened her eyes, realizing she didn't build up enough speed causing her jump to pop, only having 2 revolutions.

"Damnit," she gritted through her teeth, following the jump with a triple loop.

Lada felt her heartbeat faster and faster as the speed of her choreography began to hasten. Going into her double axel, she missed the landing falling onto the hard ice. Though the side of her leg was in excruciating pain, she quickly got up, covering up her sloppy performance.

As Lada kept skating to the music, she tried to calm herself down by thinking of what happens if she wins first place. Knowing she had multiple deductions, she knew she had to make the points up. Quickly, she went into a quad lutz and landed it perfectly. The crowd screamed with delight.

She wrapped up her performance with a biellmann spin that was pretty much perfect earning the sound of satisfaction from the audience. She skated back to her coach in disappointment as they went to go get her score.

A few moments later...

As the judges finalized Lada's score, Chaerim couldn't help but be extremely curious due to Lada's poor performance.

"Lada Nikolaeva of Russia," the man's voice announced, "scored 114.95 points in the free skate earning a total of 181.73 points, currently residing in 1st place."

Lada sighed with relief as she covered her face with her hands.

"Good job, Lada," her coach said reassuringly while patting her back, "I'm sure your mom will be proud."

**

"Argh, Sunghoon she scored so high even though Lada got a few deductions," Chaerim groaned with a tone of panic, "What if I fall doing my triple axel. What if I screw up one of my combos."

"Chaerim, stop," he said firmly yet enough to calm her down, "You're going to be fine. Remember what I told you about landing your triple axel. Just think you're in the air and nothing is stopping you. I know you're capable of doing every single move. You even hit a quad lutz accidently in your short program yesterday. Have more confidence in yourself."

"Chaerim Park of the Republic of South Korea," the speaker interrupted.

"Wish me luck," she exclaimed while heading over to the ice.

"You don't need luck," Sunghoon whispered, "I know you can do it."

—————————————————
Rank Name Nation SP FS Total
1 Lada Nikolaeva Russia 66.78 114.95 181.73
2 Esmée Dupont France 51.89 110.63 162.52
3 Jia Zhang China 50.12 105.47 155.59
4 Ashley Smith USA 53.63 101.38 155.01
5 Chaerim Park S. Korea 68.56 ??? ???

—————————————————
a/n: sorry for being really bad about updating. i've been unmotivated and had a bit of writers block. and sorry this chapter was kinda bad bc i couldn't think of anything 😭

anyways enjoy this pic of sunghoon and jake bc it's absolutely adorable and to make up for my horrible work :)