32

"I hope you make your decision quickly because if you want to come train with me and the rest of our talented skaters, we leave on December 8."

"The 8th?" Chaerim asked with concern.

"Yes. Is there a problem with that, Ms. Park?" Mr. Orser questioned.

"No, not at all," Chaerim responded, cooly, "I'll have to think about it, but I am thrilled to be invited with this amazing opportunity. Thank you once again."

"Chaerim, this is such an amazing opportunity. You should take it. If you want to be a global figure skater, this will definitely help you," coach Ji said excitedly.

"Yeah, it really is. It's a dream come true, but..." her voice trailed off.

"But what?"

It's Sunghoon's birthday.

"Nothing, never mind. Excuse me, Mr. Orser, coach Ji."

She bowed politely as she excused herself and went out to look for Sunghoon. Squeezing her way through the crowd of figure skaters partying and talking, she couldn't help, but stress over the decision of leaving Korea to Canada. Most importantly, leaving Sunghoon on a special day. Never once in her life has she not celebrated her birthday or his birthday without each other.

Finally reaching the back of the ballroom, she saw doors leading to a balcony. Through the glass doors, she could see a skinny boy leaning over the edge of the marble rails.

There he is.

She opened the doors and the boy immediately turned around.

"Oh Chaerim, that's where you were. I was starting to think you were actually not going to come," Sunghoon chuckled.

"Hi," she said with a glum tone.

"Hm? What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about some stuff."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really... okay I guess so," Chaerim exclaimed hesitantly.

"I was just thinking about all of our achievements and how far we've come in life even though we're still young. And I can say our journey has been one hell of a ride," she smiled softly.

"Totally. I never expected so many things to happen this year. But I'm happy we were both able to come compete at this trophy," Sunghoon responded.

They both leaned over the rails, admiring the starry night sky, feeling the cold autumn air.

"Reminds me of when our families went camping together," Chaerim exclaimed.

"I remember that too. We snuck out of the tent and went to stargaze. Yeji insisted she come even though we told her to sleep," Sunghoon chuckled sweetly, "But it was definitely one of most fun things we've done. Let's go camping soon."

"Yeah, definitely."

A cool gust of wind interrupted the nice atmosphere and Chaerim clutched her arms together, shivering. She eyed Sunghoon, cuing him to offer his blazer to her.

"I'm cold too," he joked.

She gave him an unamused look as he took the blazer off and placed it on her shoulders.

"Warm now?"

She nodded with satisfaction, "Thanks."

"Anyways, I have to say, through everything we've gone through, you truly are the bestest friend a person can ask for," she smiled softly, "I couldn't ask for a better friend. And I'm truly grateful to have a friend like you because you've helped me with so much. And you helped me be the person who I am today. But it's just that-"

"Chaeri," Sunghoon cut her off.

"Yeah?"

"That word. That word friend. I can't stand it anymore," he exclaimed with pain, "Chaerim, I don't know how you feel, but I don't want to be just friends. I know you may feel like you want our friendship to last eternally, but I want to be more than that. I want to be more than just friends."

Chaerim, I love you. It's because I love you like crazy. Sometimes I can't fall asleep because I'm thinking about you. Without you in my life, it feels so empty and I've experienced it. And it hurts not to see you with me.

"S-Sunghoon," she whispered, feeling tears welling up in her eyes, "Please, I-"

Cutting her off, he leaned in, gently pressing his soft lips on her's. Chaerim closed her eyes, returning the kiss as tears continued to stream down her eyes.

The sweet moment ended when Chaerim felt a sense of sad bitterness.

"Sunghoon," she said weakly while pushing away from his sweet grasp, "I can't."

"What?" he questioned, sadly and confused.

"Sunghoonie, I love you too. I love you so much to point it aches me, but I don't know if I can do this. With you being a trainee and skater while I'm practicing day and night for my skating it... it won't work out."

"No, Chaerim, it can," he insisted softly, "We can keep our relationship a secret and we live in the same apartment complex and-"

"Sunghoon, that's not it," she cried.

"What do I have to do to be with you?" he asked with desperation, "Chaerim, I love you with my whole heart."

"Sunghoon, Brian Orser came to scout me..."

"Why are you crying? That's the most amazing opportunity!"

"But if I want to go train with him, I leave for Canada on December 8th."

"What?" he questioned in disbelief. He felt a single hot tear drip down his cheeks which turned into thousands of tears.

How fate could be so cruel.

——————————————-
a/n: please i'm so sorry this was so cringey fndjjsjsjdjsd

and mama 2020 was about the most rigged thing i've watched in my life. seriously how could skz only perform one song while most kpop groups got 2-3 and THEY DIDNT GET NOMINATED FOR A SINGLE AWARD??? this is bs and stray kids literally deserve sm better. AND WHY VICTORY SONG? THEY HAD TWO COMEBACKS YET THEY PERFORM AN OLD SONG???

sorry i'm just really mad djjdjsjsjd if

and our boys looked amazing