Identity Crisis

Karia's Point Of View:

     Karia studied the girl in front of her. Was it possible she had two cousins?  She didn't look much like the girl. The girl had peach skin with large pale green eyes and light brown hair. She had to be younger than her, but not much. Karia wished she knew the name of the cousin she was looking for, but she didn't even have that. Karia didn't have a last name to give the girl either, her parents could still never afford one. She couldn't think about this now, this was it, she would finally know where she came from.

"I think I'm you're cousin, do you have a brother? Also I'm with the avatar"

      And with that Karia pushed pass her possible cousin, and dragged in a reluctant Genji who gave her maybe-cousin a sympathetic smile, and looked like he was about to murder Karia. She wanted to roll her eyes. She loved Genji, he was the sweetest guy she knew, like a brother. His issue was that he thought too much, and tended to never take any action.

     Karia made herself comfortable on the couch and looked around the room. She saw pictures of a boy and girl who looked to be around the same age on the mantel. You wouldn't be able to tell they were siblings but in the picture was a short hairy man and a tall thin woman around their two children. The man appeared to be smiling but he looked incredibly uncomfortable, as if he was being forced to be happy.

The woman genuinely looked happy and had a sweet smile. She figured the boy in the photograph was her cousin. Karia was vaguely aware of Genji toying with the hem of his tunic, and the girl still in the doorway , staring at the two in disbelief.

"I'm sorry, you're my cousin and you're with the avatar? I hate to break it to you, I have no cousins, both of my parents are only children. And I don't see avatar Jian Mao."

   Karia looked down at the folded note with address. It occurred to her that her cousin and uncle could've moved, and she had just intruded on some random person's home. Her heart sank. Genji meanwhile looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head. If this was a stranger, she had just told her some very high level government information.

"Are you sure about that? Can I please speak with your twin?"

The girl crossed her arms.

"He's not my twin, he's a year older than me, and if you don't mind I'm also going to call my dad."

Karia reached for Genjis hand and nodded.

"That's fine." The three sat in silence.

Karia wasn't sure what to do. Was it too late to run? Genji looked like he wanted to bolt. The girl studied them.

"So what's your name?" Karia asked after a while. She realized she had never even asked.

"Xiomara"

Karia wasn't sure if she frowned in confusion, but Xiomara continued.

"My name comes from the Ancient Sun Warrior civilization-"

"That's amazing! They're one of the oldest civilizations in the world, but they were in hiding for so long, but they reentered society shortly after the one hundred year war. They know the true secrets of fire bending, you must be an amazing fire bender!"

Karia didn't mean to interrupt her, but she was just so excited. Was Karia descended from the great Sun Civilization? Xiomara pursed her lips.

"I'm not a fire bender. My parents thought I would be, but for some miraculous reason I turned out an earth bender. I guess I had an earth bending descendant."

She pointed to the picture.

"My brother San is a fire bender, a really great one at that. He's studying at a very prestigious academy too, where my uncle trains fire benders in the way of a sun warrior."