Genji, Meet The Legacy

Jinora

Jinora's first thought where did Kai get that ratty blanket. It looked like it had been picked off the floor, and knowing Kai, it might've been. Her next was who was the traumatized boy underneath it. Boy was a bit of an understatement, he looked around Korra's age when she first came to Republic City. Back then Jinora thought she was so old, but being thirty she now realized at seventeen Korra was still a child.

Even the face he was making reminded her a bit of Korra.

"Uh stay here Genji." Kai said awkwardly.

The shaken up boy just weakly nodded, wiping out tears from under his eyes.

Next to her, Ikki flashed her sister an emergency smile.

"Uhh Kai can we talk for a minute." Jinora asked.

Ikki dragged him away into the corner.

They were back at air temple island, in the living room where they had been when the day started. Not even three hours ago they had talked to their grandma, and then the three had gone to look for avatar. Except Kai came back with someone.

"Kai what did you bring back?"
Ikki demanded.

"We said find leads on the avatar, not pick up a homeless street rat!" Ikki sighed exasperated.

The boy cocked his head in their direction and some air acolytes gave them strange looks.

"Oops do you think he heard that?"

Jinora was convinced she was surrounded by idiots. She took a deep breath.

"Kai, who is that?"

"His name is Genji and-"

"Why is he here Kai!" Ikki interrupted.

"I'm getting to that!" He snapped. Then he turned back to Jinora a little pale.

"But first, is you grandma okay?"

"My grandma? Yeah we just spoke to her earlier today,  remember?"

Kai gulped.

"But you can double check she's... alright?"

"She's just resting." Ikki said.

"But could you please check?" Kai pleaded.

Jinora sighed.

"Alright, but then you have to tell us who this boy is."

"I will I promise."

The three made their way into the room. On the way they passed by the boy, who was clinging to the matted blanket for life. Upon second glance Jinora realized he really wasn't a boy after all. He was young but she was sure he dominated her in height. Still he looked like a wounded puppy, and Jinora thought maybe the reason Kai brought him was because he reminded him of himself.

After all, this boy looked straight out of the desert, which was near where they found Kai. He also had been on the streets, maybe Kai took pity on him. Jinora caressed her secret baby bump. Maybe she and Kai would make good parents after all.

"I think.. I think we need to bring him." Kai said.

"The boy? Why, we're just checking up on my grandma?" Ikki said confused.

Kai turned to Jinora for support, but even she wondered what connection this boy had to her grandmother. Still, she trusted Kai, and saw this was important to him.

"Well maybe we should." Jinora suggested.

She couldn't offer any reason why they should, but she was going along with it.

Kai tapped his back and the boy nodded, as if he knew who was behind that door. Jinora put an arm on the boy's shoulder to see if she could stop his shaking, but to her surprise she got a feeling of Deja Vu. The spiritual energy was something so familiar.

"Who are you?" She thought to herself.

Ikki pushed the door open.

"Gran Gran?" She called peaking in.

The woman appeared to be sleeping and didn't answer.

"The geezer didn't hear us." Ikki whispered, all three stepped into the room, and Ikki gently shook the woman's arm.

"C'mon Gran Gran, there's uh."

She looked over at the boy.

"Someone you should meet." She finished.

She shook her hand one more time, but it fell limp.

"Gran Gran?" Ikki asked quietly.

The boy shook his head.

Ikki bit her lip, still shaking the woman.

"Gran Gran!" She called now shaking her harder.

Jinora went to the other side of her bed, where earlier that day she had spoken to her. She took her hand gently and felt for a pulse. She had none.

"Oh Gran Gran." Was all she could say as tears welled up.

Ikki silently cried to herself, still holding her Grandmas hand. After a minute Ikki got up checking the clock. It was 9:45.

"Okay." She said wiping tears.

"I-I got to tell the acolytes, and make some telephone calls, and-"

She stopped herself to wipe a tear. She stood up and left. Jinora dropped the woman's hand to face her partner.

"Kai, how did you know? You knew she was dead, how did you know?"

The airbender gulped looking at the boy.

"He told me."

Jinora let the tears fall down her face and looked at Genji with a new curiosity.

"Who are you?" She asked.