Fire Bending Masters

"So how long have you been going to the academy?"

Genji attempted to make conversation with San. He had been staying in San's room for four days, and it had been a bit awkward. San was a nice guy, it was Genji who struggled to say something, anything interesting really. The downside of growing up with no children your age was a major lack of social skills, and a whole lot of social anxiety. He and San were going to be spending a lot of time to together, so it would be better if they became friends. Well that's only if Genji and Karia were alowed to stay that long.

They had a bit of deadline, not from Karia's 40 year old cousin Jae, but from his daughter Xiomara. If Genji couldn't pick up fire bending in the next three days, and prove he was the avatar, Xiomara would expose them. That made Genji just the slightest bit stressed out. In the mean time he had asked Xiomara to give him a couple of lessons in earth bending, some training would've been nice. She agreed, but had not shown any sign of wanting to, and Genji didn't want to push his luck. For now his top priority had to be being able to bend two elements, so he was more than anxious to be attending the academy. San scratched his head, slightly adjusting the collar of his red uniform.

"I've only been going for about a year , before then my mom had shown me all my bending."

Genji had wanted to ask more, but he was afraid she was dead. He had only seen pictures of the tall thin woman with light black hair and sapphire eyes. She did look a lot like San, except for her dark hair. For some reason San and Xio ( San referred to his sister as "Xio" for short. Genji wasn't sure if he was allowed to call her that yet.) had inherited light brown hair, San's with an almost red color like Karia's.

"Is this uncle that teaches at the academy, is he your mom's brother."

San nodded.

"Yeah, it's my uncle Xen."

   San didn't seem much like a talker, which was fine with Genji, the interaction was already making him nervous enough as it was. Hi figured this must mean that Ms. Ottani was the fire bender, which meant he'd have to break it to Karia that biologically, she wasn't a sun warrior. The pair went deeper down town, which confused Genji, he imagined a big large academy would have to be in the outskirts. Genji also noticed they kept getting closer to the spirit portal. He decided that later he'd have to sneak out, and try to become more spiritual. It would definitely help if he could talk to Korra. Maybe he could go into the actual spirit world, and talk to her. Maybe he could talk to Aang..

Last night Genji had gotten started on reading "The Promise". Genji still found it hard to believe that the Fire Nation was once a dominating force, and they looked down on other nations. As it stood, fire benders weren't the most beloved people, they shared a place with sand benders for having a bad reputation as criminals and thieves. Genji always assumed it was because the element of fire rarely could be used for much good, but he understood it was because of the war. He guessed people still held a grudge.

Being from the Earth Republic, he'd heard the term "ash maker" plenty of times in the pubs of the Misty Palms Oasis. From a young age his mother had told him it was rude word, but many earth benders despised the fire nation for "stealing their land." He supposed Republic City was on stolen land, but now Genji wanted to recommend The Promise to the drunken men at the pubs, then they'd understand why avatar Aang had to do all this.

He was so consumed in his thought he didn't notice he had knocked into someone.

"Sorry" Genji muttered staring up at the man above him.