The End Goal

Jian Mao

"I'm alright!" He snapped.

Unbelievable, he was overpowered by a non bender. He would never underestimate an enemy again, no matter how weak they appear. He let the avatar's stupid girlfriend get a hit by underestimating her. He knew this would now work to his advantage when they met again.

"We must continue after the avatar!" Jian Mao announced. He had no idea where he was, but he would find out. He turned to the men who were whispering among eachother. The water bender was putting out the small fire that started.

"Why?" Jian asked.

"Why what?"

"Why did you loose."

Bumi looked at the floor.

"We really didn't want to hurt them."

Jian wanted to scream.

" WE COULD HAVE GOT HIM EASILY AND YOU KNEW IT, AND YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!"

  Jian was seething. What were they hiding from him? He couldn't shake the feeling they weren't even half as interested in taking in Genji as he was. What could be so much more important?

"DO YOU EVEN WANT TO GET GENJI, AND HAVE HIM TELL THE WHOLE WORLD HES THE AVATAR. TELL THE WHOLE WORLD YOU HAVE BEEN LYING TO THEM!?"

That seemed to get Bumis attention.

"We cannot let him reveal identity." Bumi confirmed.

  Jian gritted his teeth. There it was again, Bumi acting strange. He was now sure he and Bumi had completely different goals, yet one thing remained the same; Genji could not be known as the avatar.

"What do we do about him." The water bender asked pointing to the old man.

"I suppose we arrest him, we can't let what's happing get out." Bumi said

He got a little call on his ear bud.
"Looks like it's time to pay my neice a visit." Bumi confirmed.

Jian flinched.

"He's with the legacy kids?"

Bumi sighed.

"It appears so. Legacy of the last true airbender." Bumi said annoyed.

"Let's go, I have a feeling they won't stay there for very long."

"Right."

Just as they were about to leave the apartment Bumi got one last call on his earbud and his face clouded.

"It looks like Genji will have to wait."

"Why?" Jian spat.

Bumi sighed a tear rolling down his cheek.

"My mother died."

"Oh."

"It'll look bad and really suspicious if we're not there. Her son and the avatar." Bumi said his voice breaking.

"Bumi I'm sorr-"

"Schools and jobs will be canceled as national day of mourning. After all, she is the last of the six heroes from the war to pass away. Now is the time to get the public on your side."

   Jian was conflicted. On the one hand he needed Genji out. Genji's existence  stressed him out, that at any minute his life could be ruined. On the other hand.. well Bumi was sort of like the father Jian never had. Of course he had one, but he was never there.

   A few years after Jian was the avatar, his father pretty much left them, going to parties, drinking, having affairs. Of course as far as the media knows, the retired Pro bender and the famous mover star were happily married, with their beloved avatar son.

But Bumi was there for every core memory Jian ever had. He sort of... raised him.

Jian sighed.

"I understand Bumi. Take all the time you need to grieve."

It pained him to say that last sentence since he wanted more than anything to get rid of Genji, and make things be okay again. But he knew he couldn't say that to Bumi.

Bumi nodded wiping a tear.

"But don't worry we'll continue to keep an eyes of Genji. It's important for the world."

Jian swallowed. There it was again, something that Jian didn't know.