「Phase 39」Reaching You

Start from the beginning

"As in... you're designing a Premium Rare?!"

Hinata's jaw was wide open, and even Tsubaki seemed taken aback by this. Mai nodded.

"I'm trying to, at least."

"I guess Shiraishi-san has a point," Tsubaki said, "Even if you spelt it out to her, she doesn't know Kotone."

There was a brief silence before Tsubaki continued. "But I guess we didn't either..."

Another silence, which was broken by Hinata sighing. She placed her hands behind her head. "An android, huh? I always thought there was something strange about her, but..." she bit her lip, "I should have realised."

Looking to the ground in silence, Mai clutched onto her sleeve - something that had become somewhat of a habit over the last while. The atmosphere right now... it wasn't good at all. What if Kotone didn't accept their feelings? What if they stayed like this forever? What if...

Mai closed her eyes tightly. This wouldn't do... this wouldn't do at all!

"I want to do right by Kotone," she finally spoke up, opening her eyes again, "Even if she's an android or the 'perfect idol', most of all she's Kotone! I think... she's lonely. So...!"

"You want to show her she's not alone," Tsubaki finished. "So do I."

"Same here. Kotone-chan's really nice once you get past her cold exterior, you know? If she thinks that cold exterior is all she has going for her... I can't allow that!" Hinata placed her hand to her heart, "I've seen it before. Previously amazing people give everything up to devote their entire lives to attaining an impossible perfection. I swore I wouldn't let it happen to myself. And I refuse to let it happen to one of my friends."

"Hina-chan..." Mai sighed. "I just need to find a way to turn our feelings into a performance."

"So you're designing your coord, right?" Hinata asked, her tone lightening, "What kind of things does Kotone-chan make you think of?"

Mai furrowed her brows. "I... don't know."

"Are you sure? What kind of colours? Or feelings? Or symbols?"

"Um..." she thought as hard as she could. Kotone, Kotone... the android idol. An idol so cool that it blew Mai's mind. A seemingly cold yet warm-hearted idol. Smart, always ahead of even Mai in written examinations. Would sing every morning until not that long ago, with the voice of an angel. Midnight's manager, always putting their needs first even though she likely didn't understand them.

"I guess... she reminds me of the Winter. Some view it as a cold, miserable time. A time filled with small inconveniences that would rightfully drive most mad. But also a cosy time that you spend with those you care about; a time that you spend in front of the warm fireplace in fluffy jumpers..." she blushed a little, "I sound so silly, don't I?"

"No, this sounds good," Tsubaki commented, Hinata frantically nodding.

"Continue, continue!"

"A-ah! She's kinda cool yet cute at the same time... I guess like ice-cream."

"Weren't we just going for a Winter theme?"

"Who says you have to eat ice-cream in Summer?" Hinata refuted.

"I've had ice-cream in winter before," Mai agreed, "When I was younger. We went out together as a family, and Mama decided to get it as a treat. Papa was against it, but~,"

"Come on Hiro-kun, why not?"

"Isn't the weather a little cold for that?"