「Phase 15」 Heart Throbbing Fashion Show

Mai tried her best to not worry. When Tsubaki and Hinata were called to the office, they both ended up with Premium Rares by the end. Maybe it'd be the same for her? Even if Ai explicitly said she didn't feel comfortable working on one yet, when her skills were still rough. She was certain she hadn't done anything terrible though, so she doubted she was in trouble.

She hoped she wasn't, at least.

"Then all I'll ask is that you continue to do so."

That was what the headmistress told her when she went with Kotone to receive the latter's school coord and AiPhone. Something about it felt strange to Mai, as if she had a particular reason to ask... a voice at the back of Mai's head told her that she wasn't making enough progress. It would explain the question, at least... maybe the headmistress thought she wasn't trying hard enough?

It was tempting to run, but she'd eventually be found out. It wouldn't solve anything.

So, she reluctantly knocked, and entered once permitted.

"I'm sure you're wondering why you've called, " Makoto said, tensing the tension. "You've been asked for an exciting offer."

"Exciting offer?"

"You'd have been told this in lessons tomorrow, but every year, the New Stars fashion show is held. It's a tradition for first-years to take part in the fashion show segment, whilst the Celestial Star finishes the show with a performance."

So she was invited to be a model? Mai wasn't sure why she was being singled out like this, but it seemed fun! Another chance to see Rina perform-

"However," Makoto continued, disrupting Mai's thought process, "This year, Rina has requested that you perform alongside her."

...

...Perform alongside Rina?...

...alongside the Celestial Star? The top idol?...

...

...alongside Sachiko's favourite idol...?

"Usually, we wouldn't permit this," Makoto said, "But Rina's shown continued interest in you ever since your audition. She truly believes that this will discover your true potential. As our highest performing student, I have no choice but to trust her," she finished, "Will you accept?"

Mai tried to stop the thoughts racing in her head, and calm down. Even if it was a big step, maybe even too big, she couldn't possibly pass a chance like that up. Especially when the Celestial Star herself had asked her... no matter how much Aya would probably try to dispute it, it was a big deal!

"I accept."

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

"Perform alongside Aino-senpai?!" Hinata shouted, once Mai explained the situation to her best friends.

"I'm surprised too," Mai admitted, "But I can't pass up a chance like this."

"Of course not!" Tsubaki was determined, her hands in fists. "It'll be a great insight into her work and thought process; you could learn a lot!" She relaxed slightly, giving a more serene smile. "I'm sure you'll do great, Mai."

Mai smiled back. "Thank you."

The next morning, whilst Tsubaki and Hinata were in their homeroom, Mai was in a meeting with Rina to figure out the details of the show.

"Good morning," Rina greeted the staff, "I'll be in your care today." She bowed, and Mai could have sworn she saw Rina's aura briefly appear. The top idol was radiant - it was no wonder she was so beloved by idol fans. After a moment, the Celestial Star turned to Mai, who stared back for what felt like forever.