reunited at a wedding

Start from the beginning

"You know", he goes on when Louis doesn't answer, "had I not known better I would've almost thought you were trying to avoid me."

Louis looks up at him, hates that he's so much taller than himself despite the fact that he's younger, and pouts a little. Harry smiles faintly, the traces of a single dimple hinting in his right cheek, but Louis can see the hurt in his eyes as he speak as much as he tries to make a joke out of it.

"Maybe I have been", Louis finally says and leans on his hip. Harry flinches for a second, but recovers himself quickly. He nods slowly and scratches the back of his neck.

"I see", he mumbles quietly and whatever confident he had when he came over seem to has been wiped clean off his face.

"Yeah?" Louis cocks an eyebrow and sound meaner then he intends it to.

Harry looks at him and Louis stares back, his eyes darting back and forth from his green eyes to his plum lips and he notices his glowing cheek in between as well. Louis inhales sharply at last and Harry meets his gaze. "I should go", he then tells Harry and gestures at the door.

Harry frowns, looking concerned almost. "You're not staying for the ceremony?" he asks quietly, sounding hurt.

Louis bites his lip and looks around the room, wishing for someone to come and save him from this embarrassment of a conversation.  He feels his cheeks getting hot as he realizes that he's not sure what the answer is. "I think it's better if I don't", he mumbles at last and runs his hands over his face.

"Look, Louis, I know you don't want to see me", Harry begins, suddenly sounding eager, "and I understand that, but it means a lot for my sister to have you and your family here today. So, please just... stay. You don't have to talk to me, but just don't leave now." He flails his arms around as he speaks and won't look Louis in the eyes until after he's finished talking.

Louis stares at him in silence for a few seconds. He wants to hate Harry, he really does. And he thinks he has plenty of reasons to do so as well, but he just can't. He can't look at the wide eyed boy in front of him and feel anything but longing to reach out for him, and maybe that was the problem this whole time; the fact that Louis always felt more than Harry ever did, that he always gave more than Harry could accept.

"Okay", he says at last and as on a cue the lights dim around them and people begin to take their seats. "I'll stay. Not for you, but sure, I'll stay." His voice is flat, empty of emotion and he has to admit he's pretty impressed about that considering all the feelings that are igniting inside of him.

Harry pulls back and his mouth falls open for a split second before he gathers himself again. Louis can easily trace the hurt in his emerald eyes, like shimmering sparks of moonlight swimming around his pupils. He nods carefully, though, and looks down at the floor. "Thanks, Lou", he mumbles and Louis wants to hit him, because no – no, no, no, he has no right to use Louis' nickname around him any longer, lost that right long ago. He doesn't though, of course he can't. Instead, Louis swallows hardly and then pushes past Harry without as much as a second look. His arm burns where he brushes against Harry, but he ignores it and excuses his way over to where he spots his parents on the second row from the front.

He takes his seat without a word and keeps his eyes set on his hands on his lap to until he hears the music start playing – a song he think he's heard far too many time for his age. But even then, as he raises his head to look at the bride he can't help but to catch a glimpse of Harry where he's stood to the side in the front, hands resting on his trousers, and suddenly he just wants to cry. Because as much as he likes to try to deny it, Harry is absolutely gorgeous, and, well, shit, Louis still has feelings for him. Maybe that's what this whole thing has really been about for the past few months; trying to bury his feeling as deep down as possible and ignore them until they would simple go away on their own.