Epilogue

Valerie threw herself onto the bed, the list of the must-not-forget items crumped in her hand after going over it a multitude of times. Her mom had been keen on keeping carefully made lists before every single one of their trips, and Morgana had kept it right after she passed away.

Every year, she and Morgana would spend Christmas with her family and on her birthdays she would get a bunch of calls from relatives who would tell her how they made sure to send her presents by mail or how they had sent money her way through Morgana. She would also get a call, most times either the day before or the day after and a check from her uncle Greg, the only family member besides Morgana with who she kept somewhat of a regular contact.

This year, however, her grandma and aunts and uncles had been insistent on the fact that Valerie had to spend her 15th birthday with her family in Mexico. They assured the girl didn't need to have a party if she didn't want to, but it was important the occasion was at the very least spent with family, even if that meant spending Christmas with them until the next year.

Valerie tried to think on the possibility of telling her grandparents what had been happening. Fighting an evil entity hardly gave her any bragging rights, but the idea that she might be descended from some distant old king would provide enough material on its own to spite her cousin Daniela. On the other hand, her family already worried enough about her, so adding the fact that she now was given permission to play with a very sharp sword probably would worry them even more. Or they would want to see the sword and bet she wouldn't dare try to slice something with it.

It was better if she didn't dwell too much of it, because the chances of them actually believing her were pretty slim.

She rose from her bed, taking a photo of the list with her phone and left it in the bed as she dragged her feet out of her bedroom all the way to her mother's old bedroom. She opened the door slowly, stepping into it quiet, as if she could disturb anyone getting inside.

The bedroom's door was barely opened a few times in the year, and most of them were solely to clean it. Still, Valerie went to it before any trip, she wasn't entirely sure why.

She left the room after being inside for little more than a couple of minutes, making sure to close the door behind herself.

Valerie went to her bedroom to pick her phone from her bed and walked downstairs, going through her messages. Audrey had sent her a few pictures from the tour at her summer intensive at the Royal Ballet, Iman had sent her a picture of a series she was watching, insisting she had to see it too and Gabriel had sent her a meme.

She sat in the couch, holding a bag of chips, trying to make time until her aunt and Merlin arrived back from wherever they had gone to.

DemiJon: You already on the plane?

The message moved at the top of her list, she pressed on it as soon as it the small bell had rang.

Valerie: Nah, not for a few hours.

Plus my aunt and the pest are out, so I couldn't leave even if I wanted to.

DemiJon: Oh, yeah, he's going to stay taking care of the house, right?

Valerie: Yeah, please let me know if he ever burns the house down and lifts it again with magic.

DemiJon: I will,

I doubt he will have enough time to burn your house down anyways, he said we will have to continue training as much as possible.

Valerie: Ouch.

DemiJon: Believe me, no one is dreading this more than I am. Have a nice summer my ass.

Valerie: Lol,