Chapter 23

Morgana enjoyed the warm spring afternoons. It was a good sign that summer was approaching, and it was far better than having to endure cold a few more days beyond what she thought should be the case. This afternoon, however, she couldn't feel as delighted as it usually made her feel, the only person she could thank for that was Accolon, who was now getting ready to leave after receiving a letter from a lord from Pelles' kingdom.

"Do you have to leave so fast?" Morgana questioned, looking at Accolon. The man smiled, kissing her softly in the lips.

"Well, duchess, there is a wide world to see and many men willing to pay me to fight their battles." Accolon kissed her again.

"Do I have to pay you for you to stay?" Morgana rose an eyebrow. Accolon laughed.

"For you, your grace, the mere sight of you is payment enough." Morgana laughed at his words, "but you'll understand that I can't stay too long." his eyes softened, and Morgana knew he was as sad about saying goodbye as she was.

"I know," Morgana mumbled with sadness. She had just hoped he would stay a little longer.

"Maybe someday I can introduce you to my family," he tried, his voice resonating with hope. Morgana focused on his smile, "they'd be delighted, my sister married to a duke, my brother getting ready to take over the throne and here I am, Accolon, notorious knight for hire, now seeing Morgana Lefay, daughter of Gorlois and Igraine, sister of Arthur Pendragon and remarkable sorceress."

"Calm down," Morgana smiled, putting a hand on his armored chest. "For now, it's enough that you come here as soon as possible to see you again and hear all about what does that lord want."

"Count the days your grace, every day I don't get to see you, is another kiss I owe you." He left a kiss in the back of her hand.

"I'll wait for it eagerly," Morgana smiled, holding onto his hand as he hopped into his horse, leaving one last kiss in her hand before parting.

Morgana stood there watching him until she could no longer hear the sound of the horse's hooves against the ground. She turned on her heel to return to the inside of the castle. Arthur had gone on a hunting trip alongside with a few of the knights, claiming they would be back before the sun sets. She had promised Aethel that while Arthur was gone she would teach her an embroidery technique that she hadn't seen before.

As her heels resonated against the stone floor of the inside of the castle, her eyes crossed with Emrys, who was walking from one side of the hallway to another seemingly deep in thought. Morgana rose an eyebrow at him, standing still, ready to see the outcome of his impatient pacing until he saw her. His eyes widened and he stopped, his feet hesitating. He walked towards her, green eyes looking at her with his eyebrows furrowed with worry.

"Ana..."

"Merlin," she smiled, and he rolled his eyes.

"Don't be like that," he mumbled, Morgana tilted her head, rolling her eyes the smile in her face unwavering, "I want to warn you something," His voice was filled with worry, his entire posture tense.

Morgana's smile dropped, "Oh?"

"Guinevere saw you and Accolon and figured out he was here as something more than a 'courtesy visit to the king' and now wants to talk with you as soon as possible," he explained, his eyes focused on her reaction.

Morgana knit her eyebrows closely together, she looked at Emrys up and down failing to find anything that would serve her as a way to tell her he was joking and just wanted to see how would she react to it.